Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost bolt - even the simplest things are a headache

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lost bolt - even the simplest things are a headache

All I was trying to do is re-attach the catch can to the pass side cyl. head.

Two bolts to attach the bracket to the head, the upper one was no hassle, the lower one didnt catch and fell.

I'll be damned to find this thing! I've been on top of the car, underneath the car, grabbing and feeling everywhere i can see and reach. And I've checked the ground underneath several times.

I can replace the bolt easily enough, But I dont like having a stray bolt lost in there someplace.

Where in gods name could it have gone to?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Above the control arms maybe or in the part of the crossmember that cradles the engine.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The kmember - it loves to vacuum up loose bolts.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That dam kmember.It had a 15mm socket for 6 mo before I stumbled across it.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was changing the fuel filter on my Accord and dropped a bolt. Same thing, could not find it, looked over the engine God knows how many times. So, I started the car, floored it in the parking lot, slammed on the brakes as hard as I could and came to a screeching halt. I got out, looked under the car, and there was the bolt laying on the ground.
I told my brother this story after it happened and he says "what the hell are the odds of that actually working?" LOL
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I was changing the fuel filter on my Accord and dropped a bolt. Same thing, could not find it, looked over the engine God knows how many times. So, I started the car, floored it in the parking lot, slammed on the brakes as hard as I could and came to a screeching halt. I got out, looked under the car, and there was the bolt laying on the ground.
I told my brother this story after it happened and he says "what the hell are the odds of that actually working?" LOL
Haha I accidentally did something like that, during my header install I lost a bolt down there, looked forever finally gave up. I think it was a header bolt and I had extras just in case. Well totally forgot about it and drove the car and everything, like 2 days later my dad walks in and goes found that bolt we were looking for. It was at the bottom of the drveway near the mailbox. Go figure
Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the tips and stories!

No luck yet, i've been all over the control arms, k-member and everything i can get my hands into, and yeah, i;ve even looked at the end of the driveway near my mailbox, . Nothing yet tho.

I may need to drive the car and stop quick - who knows.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Have you tried randomly sticking and wiggling a retractible pen magnet in and around the area to see if you cant fish it out.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
no that was one of those jap guys from the factory.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

What I really hate is dropping a bolt, fishing around for a long time and then coming up with a different bolt than the one I dropped.....................

Bird
Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
Have you tried randomly sticking and wiggling a retractible pen magnet in and around the area to see if you cant fish it out.
I was going to suggest the same thing
Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Ha ha.... mine ate a sparkplug about 7 years ago.....still inn there as far as I know.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
Yeah, I've done that too....thanks for suggesting it.

I think its hopeless, I dunno where the damn thing went...and its not like its a small bolt, nut, washer or lock or anything - its a pretty good size bolt!

Maybe tomorrow will be a luckier day, a different attitude and a new set of eyes.

Search this Thread