Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ANY single exhaust system as good as duals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is ANY single exhaust system as good as duals?

Relevant mods are in sig, and its time for exhaust. I have two options:

A. 3" x-pipe true duals with bullets or "twister" mufflers, than dumps

B. Hooker LTs, 3" ORP, into 3.5" o 4" exhaust (like Mufflex, but with Borla straight thru muffler or the like, maybe big Flowmaster), but with either dual 3" cutouts in the y pipe, or a 3.5"-4" cutout in the intermediate pipe.

I know that a 3.5" or 4" single will hypothetically flow enough for me, but will I be down power versus a x piped dual setup. It seems like an easy decision, but I like to drive my car, and am worried that duals will not be enjoyable to drive (I drove ~30 miles on a Hooker catback with the muffler removed, my ears are still ringing, and that was ~2 months ago )
Old 10-09-2003, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is ANY single exhaust system as good as duals?

well, any exhaust with 'dumps' under the car will echo and resonate thru the car... like with ur removed muffler... the 4" mufflex with the standard flowmaster should flow more than u need...
Old 10-10-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Is ANY single exhaust system as good as duals?

My single exhaust system gets the job done.

I run Whisper Headers 1" 7/8 intermediate length headers with 3" collectors. They dump into the stock Whisper Y-pipe, which is 2 7/8 y section into 3" I-pipe. My cutout is located under the passenger side rear seat.

Great thing. It's "quiet" on the street, and ready to rock with cutout open.

I think the biggest advantage to the duals setup is weight reduction, by eliminating the cat back.