Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dirty MAF screen?

Old 10-10-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dirty MAF screen?

ok, i spent this past afternoon installing my first couple of mods on my Z. i installed a tsp lid (KICK-*** piece of equipment, PERFECT fitment!), k&n breather, throttle body bypass mod, and a new fram air filter. i WAS going to descreen my MAF, but when i took the lid off i noticed that my MAF screen was covered in debris (little pieces of wood, leaves, etc...). i checked the old air filter and it wasnt damaged, so i have NO idea how that junk got in there. im thinking maybe the last time the previous owner changed the air filter he might have not installed the stock lid back on right, or maybe didint check the fitment of the bellows or something . so now im having some second thoughts about descreening it, im gonna drive it around how it is for about a week then i'll make my desicion. has anyone else found their MAF screen dirty?

btw... TSP lid
Old 10-10-2003, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: dirty MAF screen?

Yes i found my Screen dirty.
I just turn it around a blew threw it gentaly.I heard desceening the MAF GIVES TINY BIT OF BETTER FLOW.I DIDNT WANT TO DESCREEN Mine BECAUSE I WOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT CRAP AND DEBRIE FLYING INTO MY ENGINE.THAT WHOULD SUCK.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Launching!

with paper filters,i have seen that some times
probably because it dose not flow nearly as well as a performance filter like (GREEN,K&N) and restricting air flow A LOT causing the engine to breeth harder and maybe sucking debrie into your engine from not fitting the filter, lid, or your intake.
i have never seen any debrie on my lid, or maff screen since i have got my K&N about 4 yrs now
flows a lot better.
if you do not have a performance fliter then try that and see how that dose
hope that helps
Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You many want to invest on a recharger kit for like 10 bucks and give your air filter a good coat of oil. Its not good if debris is past your air filter, some of it may be sucked into the manifold and down to the combustian chambers. So i say clean it.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is probably from your stock lid. My stocker was letting unfilterd air in on the bottom side where the rubber neck meats the plastic lid. You shouldnt have to worry about any thing with the TSP lid. A friend of mine has one and it fits great.
,justin

Search this Thread