Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout flow disturbance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout flow disturbance?

We spend extra $$ for smooth, mandrell bent exhaust system components. Has anyone seen any data on the affect of the turbulence/affect on flow caused by the presence of cutouts (when they are capped)?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cutout flow disturbance?

This is a good question, i havent done testing but most electric cutouts appear to restrictive to flow when butterfly is open because its too small and not conducive to flow. As for flow when closed i say it would act like a accumulator or resovoir pocket and probably doesnt affect or hurt flow at all.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not 100% sure but I think there was a post on this quite a while back. From what I remember it was concluded that the cutout basically acts as an accumulator when closed (ie what LS1derfull stated) and only has a minimal affect on flow when open. Something like a ~1-2 horsepower difference at best because of the high velocity of the air as it's exiting.

I could be wrong though, this is just from memory...
Old 10-12-2003, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot to add...I think the issue of a flow restriction elsewhere in the exhaust is more of an issue because there's more of an overall impact. Aka, if there's a bad bend real early it negatively impacts flow for the entire rest of the exhaust gas' path of travel, whereas with a cutout the gas is basically at the end of it's path. Just a theory
Old 10-12-2003, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That "flow disturbance" is well worth whatever it causes when you open it up
Old 10-12-2003, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info, but I don't understand the affect of an "accumulator" in the exhaust line.

I'm wondering if I'll be paying a flow penalty for the 90% of the time when the cutouts are capped.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I'm wondering if I'll be paying a flow penalty for the 90% of the time when the cutouts are capped."

No. If there is a penalty, it would be so small that you couldn't prove it on a dyno. That extra path is filled and therefore plugged with air. Think about it. The air in that part will actually act as a wall to guide the moving air on by. That's what was meant by an accumulator.

And yes, the farther away from the engine a restriction is, the less effect it has. Why? Because the exhaust cools and shrinks as it moves away from the engine.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Colonel pretty much took the words out of my mouth . Basically, the hanging piece of the cutout would "fill up" with air and exhaust gas, thus putting the remaining gases back on a linear path.

edit: bottom line you'll gain a lot more than you'll lose with the cutout so I wouldn't too much over it .