Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooker catback exhaust sound clip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooker catback exhaust sound clip?

Im looking ot change just the catback on me 98 z28. I was wondering if anyone had a sound clip of the HOoker catback. I will be getting an off road ypipe and i might get lt's if i can find a place in northern va that will do my emissions test in a year. (not many places are lt friendly around here, Damn bastards),
can i expect a decent tone from just the hooker catback? or should i hold on till i can get the entire exhaust set up at once and just get larger, longer, rounded tips for now just to alter the stock exhaust tone, cause it sounds like a dying duck, i can't stand it.

any suggestions, ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks fellas
Travis
Old 10-13-2003, 10:35 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: hooker catback exhaust sound clip?

Go ahead and buy the Hooker CB. I have it, and it sounds awesome. IMO there isn't a better sounding catback for the price. Though if I had an extra 700 dollars around I would go with GMMG Inc. I have video clips of the exhaust on my car, I just don't have a place to host them. www.ls1info.com has tons of clips under their download section, recently their site has been down though if I'm not mistaken.

Spend the 279 bucks and buy the Hooker system from Thunder Racing, you won't be disapointed, took me about 3 hours to install with a pizza break and a test drive. Most of the time was taken up by trying to get the stock exhaust out without cutting it.

Good Luck,
Rob
Old 10-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Teching In

good info, i can get a really smoking deal on the catback thats why i was thinking about going with it. i was thinking about going with an off road y pipe, but im afraid it might actually hurt my performance as i've heard some of that happening. although i dont race, i just love the american v8 sound, nothing sweeter on the ears imo.
would it be worth it to get the y pipe? if so what company should i go with, this is my first gm, im still learning the ropes,
thanks for the reply
T
Old 10-14-2003, 11:04 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe LG Motorsports, and SLP both make Off Road Y Pipes that bolt onto your stock Shorty manifolds. In my oppinion, you would be better off buying headers, and replacing your whole exhaust system. I got in on a group purchase with Thunder Racing and got my hooker for $262. The system is well worth that amount of money. I also got in on a group purchase for headers from KOOKs. I got the y pipe and LT 1 3/4 headers for around 1100 shipped. If this is over your budget you best bet is to SAVE! Either way you can go ahead and order the Catback, everything will bolt right up when your ready to do so anyhow. As for losing your stock catted (and flattened) Y pipe, your definately going to gain some power through the offroad Y. But you will gain even more, with Long tubes, or really any of the aftermarket headers.

Good luck, and again, you can't lose with the Hooker catback.
Rob
Old 10-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Teching In

just looking for some more sound from teh catback, idont care too much about power, the N20 kit and sticky tires take care of that department. So i can't really go wrong with the hooker catback? i haven't been able to find a good sound clip yet but im gonna take your guys' advice and go for it. thnx for the help
T