Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good lord! The crap my Greddy Catch Can collects!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good lord! The crap my Greddy Catch Can collects!!!

Instead of just draining it, I opened it up yesterday, There was literrally 1/4 cup of water (I assume from condensation), and maybe 1/2 of what can only be decribed as baby diarria... It was absolutely disgusting! It looked like water and oil was put in a blender, with a little vomit and diarria mixed in! I should have took pics...

Well, the catch-can is doing it's job alright!!! I'm glad I'm not sucking this back into my intake anymore.

BTW, I am sucking from the LS6 valley cover...

Tommy
Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Good lord! The crap my Greddy Catch Can collects!!!

Where did you buy this from and how is it hooked up, if you don't mind. I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, I noticed the same thing with mine. All weird brown and gunk crap in there.

a bit of oil is still getting thru though, although not nearly as much as before. The line going from the catch can to the intake is a little oily.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

?

not to sound like a moron, but what is the purpose of a catch can, what does it cost, where can I pick one up, and is it really worth it???

Fry
Old 10-15-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

I bought my Greddy Catch can online from some ricer site. It is a nice piece, better looking than some homemade paintcan contraption.

Mine is located on the lower right of this pic:
http://www.tatommy.com/ws6%20pages/engine.htm

The purpose of any catch can is to allow the oil (and appearantly water from condensation) to seperate from the "fresh" air while circulating in your PCV system.

When I swapped my intake I noticed a good deal of crud in my intake ports on my heads. This should stop most of it from going in. Also, oil being sucked in could cause detonation, etc...

Tommy
Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Banned

GUYS!!!!! Save your self some money, go to Lowes or Home Depot, and buy a "air compressor fiilter", its the exact same thing as the $90 they sell online, except it is clear and you can actually see what it collects. The whole project cost me under $20, and it works amazing. Get your self a foot and a half of vacuum line, two barbed connectors that screw into the sides of the collector, and plug it in! why pay more??
Old 07-02-2004, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

I love my Greddy catch can, just came up with a new mounting location for it and fabbed up an aluminum bracket :

I've had it on for about 4k miles, emptied it at 3k to find about 4-5tbsp of "the funk".

Good peace of mind to know that nasty **** isn't going back down my intake.

Happy driving !
Bad30th