Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LID vs FIPK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LID vs FIPK?

I was thinking of getting an FIPK, what are the benefits/drawbacks of both of them and which, if either will give me more power?
-JOSH
Old 10-16-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: LID vs FIPK?

I personally think that the FIPK is a waste, some cars do well with them and others don't, I would just go with the good old fashioned lid....I had the SLP one on my car, If I had to do it again I would get the MTI carbon fiber one....looks good under the hood...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think both would perform pretty close to each other. If you're looking for something a little different, the FIPK may be the way to go. Most people seem to have the lid/FTRA
Old 10-16-2003, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have FIPK and I had a lid before it. I've noticed better Idle and throttle response. Kit comes with both bellows too, and finaly you can't help but love the sucking blower noise it makes.
Only drawback is to take filter off for cleaning, more time consuming.
Drawback I had with lid was that it never completely sealed the box as good as the stock unit.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lid and FIPK should perform around the same. FIPK looks badass. Some people have had issues while idling in traffic with engine temperature rising, most do the fan mod and turn them on while they idle. Also changing the thermostat to a 160 should help. Solves the issue. Ram Air might help, but there's no sealing going on, can't do anything like the BG ram air mod(Brian Green kit, seals ram air hood to the intake). Its personal pref.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

any thoughts on the Volant instead of the FIPK? i wonder if the Volant would be better because it has that shield around it, i mean, i know it doesnt totally seal up to the hood, but maybe it could help with the heat issue?? i havent seen one in person yet, but maybe someone could add their .02 on this one. FWIW, everyone i know with the FIPK loves it!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my FIPK.. I did a LOT of autotap testing on it and at idel the IAT goes up faster than a lid (which also goes up due to some heat soak) but it goes down fast when you start to move also.

On a dyno it gave a consistant 6rwhp over an aftermarket lid (yes, I know the hood was open).. On a cold night i feel it completly outperforms a lid. To be honest i think the FIPK is more suited to road racing and the lid to drag racing because the FIPK works better when the car sits and idles less. Make sense?

Oh, its wicked cool looking to boot:

I will be running a similar system on my 69
Old 10-17-2003, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

I the lid is the better way to go, because it has a barrier between the engine air and outside air.
It's not how much air you can get in through your intake, it's how much oxegen you can get through your intake. Colder air is dencer and therefore has more O2 in it. Your O2 sensors respond to the amount of oxegen not the amount of air. What it comes down to is more O2=more fuel which equals more power and torque. Just my opinion though.
good luck.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

back to the volant? its the same as k/n with a shield correct? or the bellows approximatly the same?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

I think the lid/ssra combo is better then the FIPK II in performance and looks. I know a lot of folks like the FIPK look and that's cool but I find it to be less then appealing.

I like the looks of the carbon fibre and clear lids. I would just get the one you like best as far as looks go. Performance will be about the same in most cases.

Old 10-17-2003, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I the lid is the better way to go, because it has a barrier between the engine air and outside air.
It's not how much air you can get in through your intake, it's how much oxegen you can get through your intake. Colder air is dencer and therefore has more O2 in it. Your O2 sensors respond to the amount of oxegen not the amount of air. What it comes down to is more O2=more fuel which equals more power and torque. Just my opinion though.
good luck.
Actually there is no difference in IAT when the car is in motion between a lid and the FIPK. That being the case the air is not only the same temp but is able to enter the engine in a greater amount due to the larger surface area of the filter. That is why under those conditions the FIPK will outperform the lid. If your ideling in the staging lanes then the lid might be a better option due to heatsink.

Looks is a matter of opinion
Old 10-17-2003, 02:01 PM
STF Veteran

I got the same going on as you but with the FRA mod. That's better than the extra cash you're gonna spend IMO. What you have can be better with just a little cut!
BTW- check your pm's
Old 10-17-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ZDOG, yes the Volant is the same as the FIPK, but with a heat shield, take a look CLICK HERE I am thinking about getting this setup, everyone i know says that the FIPK is awesome, so i figure why not get one with a heat shield that looks cool, and 25 bucks cheaper? I'm still undecided though, hoping to get some more feedback on it
Old 10-17-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Another vote for the FIPKII! i really like the look & the way it performs.
I had "the lid" & for me, i prefer the FIPK. Get what you like!
Enjoy.....
Old 10-17-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks jbird. im looking into the volant myself. i got a ws6 "kinda" hood on my z and the nostrils would let air straight to the filter, it would be a dead shot. i cant do the factory style ramair because my hood openings fall on top of the stock lid so thats why im pondering the volant. the only thing keeping my away is that i cant get a good look at the bellows. i want to see a nice round smooth shot. no ovals, flat, or restrictive parts. once i can confirm this ill get it.

sometimes its all about the bling!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

sometimes its all about the bling!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my fipk. My IAT stays relatively low around 75-80 when in motion and there is a good SOTP fell to it. I also painted my bellows jet black. Also if you have a dremel you can cut a whole in the shroud the FIPK sits on and bring air up from under the car.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Actually there is no difference in IAT when the car is in motion between a lid and the FIPK.
I doubt this is true for a WS6 car with BG ram air. When in motion above 30mph, my IAT is almost dead on with outside air temp. I highly doubt that would be possibile with the FIPK as it would not be sealed to the hood scoops (and hence the outside air) like the WS6 w/ BG setup. You are still getting some exposure to engine heat with an unsealed air intake even while in motion. Also, when idling, my IATs are still very close to being equal to outside temps.

For a non-BG setup car though, I would tend to agree with you.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually there is no difference in IAT when the car is in motion between a lid and the FIPK.
I doubt this is true for a WS6 car with BG ram air. When in motion above 30mph, my IAT is almost dead on with outside air temp. I highly doubt that would be possibile with the FIPK as it would not be sealed to the hood scoops (and hence the outside air) like the WS6 w/ BG setup. You are still getting some exposure to engine heat with an unsealed air intake even while in motion. Also, when idling, my IATs are still very close to being equal to outside temps.

For a non-BG setup car though, I would tend to agree with you.
I still dont think that is the case.. especially with a WS6.. in motion large amounts of air are pushed into the area around the filter.. this high pressure air keeps the warm air from the engine from expanding up around the filter. hence the IAT that matches the outside air temp. when the car stops moving this high pressure dissapates and the warm air from the engine rises up and around the FIPK and begins to raise IAT. When the car goes into motion agian the presure builds and the heat is forced from the area around the filter.. and so on.

Drive around on a cold night then pull over, open the hood and feel the front of the FIPK.. i bet its pretty cool..

Both systems have their strengths.. and both work better in certain situations.. to each their own
Old 10-17-2003, 11:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I still disagree. If this theory were true, about high pressure keeping hot air away from the filter, then I should have noticed little to no difference between the lid with a stock WS6 setup and the same lid with a BG setup sealing my hood from outside air. BUT, that was not the case. Even in motion, I noticed about a 10-20 degree drop (depending on conditions) in IAT just by adding the BG kit. And the BG kit obviously is not useable with a FIPK.

But I agree, to each their own. However, if one already has a lid (or FIPK), I think it would be silly to go to the expense of switching for such little gain either way...