Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wrapped headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrapped headers

I havent bought or decided which lt's i want, nor h/c ..
ive just made my mind up, that after owning a r6 with wrapped headers i want to wrap my ls1's headers. This would obviously diminish some heat from the exhaust keeping the engine bay cooler and the block. But has anyone had any success or problems with this? or know any specs or gains i might acquire?. I live in wpb florida and it rains, so keeping them dry might become a hassle but should i worry too much.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've never wrapped my headers so i'm only speaking from what i've heard. it does decrease underhood temps by a good bit, but there are some pretty bad cons to them. if your headers aren't stainless, they will rust a lot faster. also, if you spill oil or something flamable on them, it can cause a fire. i'm sure this is rare, but it steered me away from wrapping my headers.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

^^^ thats 100% correct, I live not too far from WPB.
I ran a car with one wrapped header (because the guy at the speedshop said the $120 roll would do them both )

I had a pump seal blow out in the middle of nowhere (on bridge road in hobe sound), the wrap soaked the trans fluid up like a wick and it caught on fire.

So after that I took the wrap off and found flaking rust, unlike the normal surface rust.

That and your car smells like a bakery the first day or two driving
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

not a good idea at all. if you wrap them and moisture builds up in between the wrap and header it will literally fall apart, in time. i heavily looked into this last year for my mac mids that i gave my friend. but decided against it. if anything, i would advise him to take it somewhere and have them professionaly coated.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my vote goes for no wrap... it's really kind of a waste of time. But go for it if you really want to...
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Swaintech. They have a pretty mean coating called white lightning. I am going to send them my manifolds and some of my exhaust pipes after I break in my engine.