Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure after H&C

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure after H&C

Ok so i finally got the torque converter in and installed another tranny cooler etc. etc. Started the car up and i didn't really pay attention to the oil pressure at first, i let it warm up and i decided to take it for a spin. While driving i noticed my oil pressure was around 25-30 psi, i immediately turned around and went back home. I installed a new ported melling oil pump when i did the heads and cam, replaced the o ring pick up tube that it came with and everything was good. The first few times i started the car oil pressure was around 70psi or so now it won't even reach 40psi, could the o-ring be messed up already? I haven't changed my oil and filter yet, and i also put in a new oil pressure sending unit the other day.....Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would change your oil and filter and see what that gives you first. If it remains low I'd probably next hook up a mechanical gauge to see what you're oil pressure is really sitting at. If it is in fact low then you're going to need to go to the o-ring in the pickup tube. It may have gotten pinched or rolled.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

there was another post last week about this same subject maybe it will ease your mind some https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-25-30-ok.html
Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty2198
there was another post last week about this same subject maybe it will ease your mind some https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-25-30-ok.html
If it was me, that thread wouldn't comfort me in the least...

You're oil pressure with a ported pump should still be up around 40-45 at a warm idle and around 50 cruising. My 98 T/A with a ported pump and main/rod bearings set up loose still would sit around these values and would jump to 65 or so at WOT...
Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Restricted User

If you just changed your cam and heads, you oil pressure should be the same as it was before the swap. If you nick a cam bearing you will loose pressure. I would get your motor fixed before you have really big issues and spin a rod or main bearing.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

That thread doesn't make me think that it's ok to be at that low PSI. When i started the car for the first few times, oil pressure was at about 65-70PSI cold and 45-50 warm, now it's around 38psi cold and if it idled correctly it would probably be around 15psi so i obviously have an issue. The last time the car ran (before today) was the last time i had regular oil pressure, since then i installed my torque converter, tranny cooler and replaced my oil pressure sending unit because it was leaking. Where's the other port to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge? I'll be pretty pissed if i have to replace that o-ring pickup tube, what would be the easiest way to tackle that?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Crap i just realized i posted this in the wrong section If one of the mods could move it to Gen III INTERNAL it would be greatly appreciated