Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly purchased 02 z-28

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly purchased 02 z-28

I recently purchased a 02 z-28 with a cam'ed ls1 (no idea what kind of cam) and long tube headers and full exhaust. I purchased the hptuner and have spent hours with the tuner and trying to figure out where to start. I would explain what is wrong with the Z and attempt to fix it myself, but I dont want to mess it up. If someone lived close, they could really help me out (I will compensate for the hard work) I have the tools and the place just need someone experienced and able to help a fellow f-body owner.

Thanks a lot,

Van

I live in King George, VA.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

What is the problem with it? If you don't know what you're doing stay right away from it. You can really screw up a car with a tuning program if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ryneman
I recently purchased a 02 z-28 with a cam'ed ls1 (no idea what kind of cam) and long tube headers and full exhaust. I purchased the hptuner and have spent hours with the tuner and trying to figure out where to start. I would explain what is wrong with the Z and attempt to fix it myself, but I dont want to mess it up. If someone lived close, they could really help me out (I will compensate for the hard work) I have the tools and the place just need someone experienced and able to help a fellow f-body owner.
Thanks a lot, Van
I live in King George, VA.
IMO try and get hold of the previous owner, to get the info on the modifications. Without these it's going to be a bit like shooting in the dark.

As for sorting the tune. As someone's said. Don't change anything yourself.

These software packages (HP-Tuners and EFI-Live for example) are seriously good, but due to their complexity they cannot be understood either quickly or easily.

The ideal thing to do is copy the tune as it is out of your car and save it in your lap-top.**
Then get onto the HP-Tuners Forum and post a copy of the tune there and ask for help. Explaining your predicament and what you feel is wrong with the car.

If it's anything like the EFI-L Forum, they will help you and they will have resident experts there who will help you through any problems and questions you might have.

(If you have a good understanding yourself of tweaking engines, when you look through the software files you'll see familiar wording).

**One thing to do to start the learning process for yourself, with HP-T (or EFI-L) is to keep the original tune from your car and store it.
Also find the HP-Tuners Stock Tune Files Repository and download a factory tune-file compatable with your model & year of car.

You would then be able load them into your lap-top together to make a comparison; to see all the differences between the stock tune file and your modified one.

If you have issues with the way the car runs then you may want to reserve opinion on whether the tune has been altered for the better.....

In which case your friendly HP-T Forum will no doubt guide you.

Last edited by Sid447; 03-11-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome & congrats...

Like said, we need the cam specs.