Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunders vs. Spiral Flows

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sweet Thunders vs. Spiral Flows

I'm getting ready to do exhaust again and I'm just going to go with TSP's 1 7/8 header and their duals. It's easy, simple, flows well, sounds good, and is relatively inexpensive. Plus, I just really don't like the way that Camaro's look with any kind of tip on the back of them. It's just a personal thing, nothing against those of you who have them. Problem is, that rules out every catback/Y-pipe setup out there lol...

I've done the Dynomax bullets on the last dual setup I had... I don't want to do it again. Just not my cup of tea.... I want something a little less over-the-top and something that has a little bit more tone to it. So I'm left with the Spiral Flows and the Sweet thunders...

Now I've listened to about every clip out there and they both sound good to me so I'm not sure which one I'm going to go with. I'm leaning a little bit towards the Spiral Flows at the moment but wanted to hear from some of you guys who personally have them first.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I'm getting ready to do exhaust again and I'm just going to go with TSP's 1 7/8 header and their duals. It's easy, simple, flows well, sounds good, and is relatively inexpensive. Plus, I just really don't like the way that Camaro's look with any kind of tip on the back of them. It's just a personal thing, nothing against those of you who have them. Problem is, that rules out every catback/Y-pipe setup out there lol...

I've done the Dynomax bullets on the last dual setup I had... I don't want to do it again. Just not my cup of tea.... I want something a little less over-the-top and something that has a little bit more tone to it. So I'm left with the Spiral Flows and the Sweet thunders...

Now I've listened to about every clip out there and they both sound good to me so I'm not sure which one I'm going to go with. I'm leaning a little bit towards the Spiral Flows at the moment but wanted to hear from some of you guys who personally have them first.

You are looking at 2 completly different mufflers

Dont go sweet thunder if you want quieter than the dynomax bullets. I have sweet thunders and I put the dynomax bullets in to quiet them down. The sweet thunders are VERY loud.

As for the spiral flows I would say they are pretty quiet but I also find the dynomax bullets only avg to a little loud.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sciff5
You are looking at 2 completly different mufflers

Dont go sweet thunder if you want quieter than the dynomax bullets. I have sweet thunders and I put the dynomax bullets in to quiet them down. The sweet thunders are VERY loud.

As for the spiral flows I would say they are pretty quiet but I also find the dynomax bullets only avg to a little loud.
I realize that I'm asking about two entirely different mufflers... that's why I'm asking...

You're probably the first person I've ever heard of that thinks that the bullets are quieter than the sweet thunders. The sweet thunders are a chambered muffler. The bullets are straight through. Logic would tell me that the ST's would be at least slightly quieter, but then again I haven't heard them... I could be wrong. I've only heard the Bullets... which got a little overbearing at times. And they had no tone really. It was just noise...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the spiral flows are what I am probably going with but I am curious as well.

Are the spiral flows louder/have more drone than a loudmouth?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
the spiral flows are what I am probably going with but I am curious as well.

Are the spiral flows louder/have more drone than a loudmouth?
I doubt it. Well as long as the loudmouth is bolted up to a LT/ORY car. Essentially it's straight pipes. I don't know if you've seen the inside of a LM1 resonator or not but it's a tin can with SLP stamped on the side of it, and it's LOUD with LT's and an ORY... and sounds like ****.

I would imagine that the Spiral Flows would be a hair quieter at least and have a much more pleasant tone to them.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

im on stock exhaust except for loudmouth and i like the way it sounds. im wanting the most power i can get bolt-ons and still keep a similar sound to what i have now.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
im on stock exhaust except for loudmouth and i like the way it sounds. im wanting the most power i can get bolt-ons and still keep a similar sound to what i have now.
Stock exhaust the LM1's sound great, I think. Even with headers and a catted Y pipe they sound great. It's when you switch to an ORY that it begins to sound like ****. I think you should do LT's and a catted Y and you will be happy with the sound.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

The sweet thunders are straight through design as well.

Heres an Ls6 rx7 with long tubes and spiral flows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMAW...-8&sa=N&tab=wv

I got a chance to ride in this car and again its quieter than the dynomax bullets.

This is my ls1 rx7 with long tubes x pipe and 18" sweet thunders
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ort_192118.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...der_635347.htm

Like I said I put dynomax bullets in series with these because they were driving me insane, and the bullets actually quieted them down a lot at idle cruising and part throttle.

There are some pretty good sounding exhausts but most of them are loud. Te borla XR1s sound nice but very loud. The magnaflows have a unique sound but again are prob too loud for you. The only muffler I know of that has a unique tone to it and is still pretty quiet is the flowmasters.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

i absolutely love my sweet thunders. im sure they flow amazinly too. they are practically a straight pipe. and believe it or not they arent extremely loud, at idle without a cam it is very tame.

the reason i like them is because they have a destictive sound, they arent just loud, they sound good.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
i absolutely love my sweet thunders. im sure they flow amazinly too. they are practically a straight pipe. and believe it or not they arent extremely loud, at idle without a cam it is very tame.

the reason i like them is because they have a destictive sound, they arent just loud, they sound good.
This is what I was looking for. I don't mind loud, I just don't want annoyingly loud. The bullets were loud but they also had no tone to them whatsoever, that's what bugged me much moreso than the volume. It was, like I said earlier, just noise. This is what got so annoying. I had an XR1 setup before too. I liked that. It wasn't as loud as the bullets, not even close really but they actually shaped the sound of the exhaust it sounded like. I liked that.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ther-best.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-options.html

Those two threads might help you, I just picked up a set of TSP duals with spiral flows tuesday, Ill let you know how I like them when I get them installed after spring break. There are two good vids of the spiral flows at the end of one of those links, one WOT and the other idle/rev.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrob56
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ther-best.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-options.html

Those two threads might help you, I just picked up a set of TSP duals with spiral flows tuesday, Ill let you know how I like them when I get them installed after spring break. There are two good vids of the spiral flows at the end of one of those links, one WOT and the other idle/rev.
Yeah, I'd looked through those two threads already but thanks man. I just have a difficult time judging exhaust through video like that. It always sounds much, much different to me in person...

Let me know how you like your spiral flows though man, I'm very curious to find out.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I have moroso spiral flows on a true dual x-pipe system. I love them, I run a stalled auto so its loud all the time in the cabin but it is a pleasant loud and not really drony and certainly no rasp.

Cruising on the highway I have no problem hearing music, around town if I keep my foot gentle its not bad, but when you step on it, the car really wakes up, great sound.

Idle is pretty mellow, a nice sound at start-up and a smooth sounding idle.

Someone told me they are restrictive, but my track times didn't really reflect that.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Just got the duals on this weekend and didnt totally know what to expect from the spiral flows. I had only heard a couple clips, but I am a big fan of them now, the car sounds awesome! They are definitely loud but I love loud, has a nice deep tone and gets real mean when you open it up
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock exhaust with Bassani X replaced muffler with 2 moroso spiral flows. Mellow everywhere and only wakes up when it's at wot. Kind of quiet for me but sounds great.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=100_1720.flv