Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping The k-member

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dropping The k-member

Im having difficuty deciding what I want to do. Im going h/c clutch, motor mounts, and all the other things you do for a cam.

I cant decide if it would be easier to drop the kmember or leave it in the car. I want to paint the engine bay as well.

I will be able to get all the motor work done very quickly out of the car but would it take longer to pull the k-member or leave the engine in the car to do all the motor work.

Are there any write-ups to drop the k-member?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i dropped my k member down about 10-12 inches and thought it was pretty easy. a little time consuming with no lift and working by yourself and i took everything loose to save aggrivation. not everyone likes the idea but i think its a good option for some.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

You think you can list the steps for me since I have never done this.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

there is a write up but you prolly have to search for it or maybe ls1howto has it. it pretty simple as far as what i was doing. you basically disconnect anything thats holding the car to the k member. i disconnected the shocks, sway bar, steering linkage, any wires that are clipped on like o2s, but i held the motor up when dropping it. if the motor is coming down with it, also include exhaust, wiring harness on top of the engine, ac compressor, brake lines, fuel lines, driveshaft and torque arm. etc.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Restricted User

Yeah, if you want to drop the whole thing, you should get as much done while it's easy. For $200 in parts you can get some ARP rod bolts and prothane motor mounts. They're a whole lot easier to swap out when the K member is down and the exhaust is out of the way.

Quick Reply: Dropping The k-member