Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Idle

Old 10-18-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Idle

Car keeps wanting to idle to high the past couple of days, started all of a sudden. The car has always idled higher than normal for an LS1, as it normally sits at around 1000-1100 RPMs. It's been that way since I bought it over 2 years ago and doesn't bother me. However, lately, especially after startup, the car has wanted to idle at 1500 RPMs, way to high!!! Its as if the idle just doesn't want to settle down after the initial start-up. Car drives fine once it gets going, but as soon as I go to put the clutch in, or put the car in neutral, the idle only settles to around 1500 RPM. Once the car is driven around for a while, the idle will settle down slowly, until it eventually goes back to 1000-1100 RPM. This is an intermittent problem, sometimes I start the car and all is fine. I just replaced the IAS motor a few months ago. I was gonna go out and clean the throttle body out really good, hopefull that will help. But I was just wondering if anybody has any other suggestions.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:01 PM
STF Veteran

Default Re: Help With Idle

Really, man, WTF!. My car has the same problem. Sorry I can't offer any advice, but I'd also like to know more about this. This usually happens to me when I haven't let the car warm up. I can get it to stop sooner by almost stalling the car( about 500rpm). Then it usually will idle normally.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:19 PM
wrencher

Just to be sure did you look for vacuum leaks?

Sure it's not a throtttle body mod issue?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cleaned the throttle body out and a decent amount of dirt was in there. The idle seems to be a bit better now, but still a little high. Had the car running with the hood up and didn't hear any vacuum leaks, so who knows. Maybe I'll try doing a computer re-learn on it next.

Search this Thread