Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster Merge & Spohn TA/Underbody Brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flowmaster Merge & Spohn TA/Underbody Brace

I am running a Spohn Torque Arm/Underbody Brace Combo, does anyone know or have an idea if the Flowmaster 3"-3.5" Y Merge (JEGS Item# 389-Y350500) would fit between the floorpan and my Underbody brace?

I'm installing Jet Hot LTs and Jet Hot Catted Y-pipe soon. I know the Y-pipe as it is WILL fit. If this Merge doesn't take up much more room, I may have to get one and modify the Y before my install.

My guess is, it can't be much more than 3.5" tall, right? When I get my car in the air to yank the factory Y and manifolds I'll do some measureing, but I'd still appreciate anyones opinion who may have done this already or is running a similar setup. Tell me what you think. Thanks guys...
Old 03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It will fit but the entire y pipe will need to be custom made. I built one for two cars with that torque arm. You need to position the merge inside the crossbrace where you will have the most clearance and build the y pipe off if it.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as the pipes attatched to the Merge come to the same position as the original Y-Pipe, I don't see how it wouldn't work. My idea is to trace the original piece of the Y-pipe to a piece of cardboard and then be sure the merge with the new pipes match up at the entrances and exit of the original. I'm not a welder, but I believe I can explain this to an exhaust shop. Relatively simple...well, I hope. Glad to know it will fit. Thank you...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

You will see what I mean when you go to do it. The Flowmaster merge is alot bigger than the stock one.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

****...I guess I shouldn't have said "original" Y-Pipe, because I didn't mean the factory Y-pipe. Sorry, I meant to say trace the Jet Hot Catted Y-Pipe, which is multiple pieces. The piece that brings the pipes together would be traced and then the 3.5" Exit of Flowmaster Merge would become the new Exit of the Y-pipe into the I-Pipe. Then the two entrances to the Merge would need exhaust pipe added to meet where the remaining pieces of the Y-pipe are. Again as long as you can put them in the same spot, by using the pattern thats been traced, it should bolt right up. Anyways, like you said, I'll find out when I do it. <=-)
Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

It dont matter. Stock, Pacesetter, Hooker, Jet Hot, Flowtech, etc.

The flowmaster will have both pipe side by side before merging.

All of the others come together at an angle. The flowmaster will require alot more room.

Like I said, it can be done because I have built several.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Beautiful.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
It will fit but the entire y pipe will need to be custom made. I built one for two cars with that torque arm. You need to position the merge inside the crossbrace where you will have the most clearance and build the y pipe off if it.
I ended up purchasing a Magnaflow 3"in-3"out Merge from Summit and was comparing it to the Jet Hot Y Pipe yesterday. You weren't kidding when you said I will need to attach the merge to the I-Pipe of the Catback then work forward to meet the Headers.

I haven't even gotten under the car yet, but by looking at the pieces together there's really no way (or reason to) hack up the Y to make the merge fit. This is gonna take a little more work than I originally anticipated. I'm considering purchasing some 3" stainless steel tubing and having an exhaust shop put together a custom Y with the cats from my Jet Hot Y. I really wanted this to be a DIY project, but I don't have access to a pipe bender, so I may have to bite the bullet and have this done.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I wouldnt use that one. It looks very wide and I dont like the way it funnels.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt use that one. It looks very wide and I dont like the way it funnels.
Wow. You know, thanks for all your help. Gimme a ******* break.

You answered my question in your first post which is below. The merge will fit. Wonderful. Enough said.