Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default timing chain

i did search for this but didn't find anything relevant. I'm doing a heads and cam ls1 with full boltons. Eventually everything will find its way into my 6.0 iron block with forged internals. I have heard the stock timing chains break occasionally. I dont want to buy a double roller at this point unless you guys think i should the my car currently has 94,000 trouble free miles on it. It is a 99 z28 m6 and it will be spinning a ms4 with pat. heads with a very nice valvetrain assembly.(all aftermarket). thanks for the help and let me know if more info is needed.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO,

If GM feel the LS7 can be validated and released to production with a full factory warranty and 7,200 rpm limit using a single chain; why doubt the research and development. I reckon GM know more than your average John Doe.

If you were building a full-on race engine a double row chain gives peace of mind.

Other than that the stock LS2 chain (which is the GMPP heavy-duty chain offered for the LS1) is more than good enough.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the c5r chain for my car. Katech says they never had a chain break so I choosed that one for added security