Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common header vibration causes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common header vibration causes?

So I installed the LPP LT's last weekend and have noticed a vibration that I feel up under my feet on the drivers side and a couple times in the dash at lower rpms or when its in gear and I'm at idle at like a stop light. What are some of the common spots that could be causing this vibration? Its going back up on the lift this weekend to check things out, but I figure it could either be the motor mount bracket just because quite a few guys have that problem, a place along the Y, or the brace that is under there the intermediate pipe connects to the ORY. Any other places I should check while I'm under there? Also, I need to put the heat shield that is on the driver's side. Could that be the cause or is it just for heat shield purposes?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by greg_74
So I installed the LPP LT's last weekend and have noticed a vibration that I feel up under my feet on the drivers side and a couple times in the dash at lower rpms or when its in gear and I'm at idle at like a stop light. What are some of the common spots that could be causing this vibration? Its going back up on the lift this weekend to check things out, but I figure it could either be the motor mount bracket just because quite a few guys have that problem, a place along the Y, or the brace that is under there the intermediate pipe connects to the ORY. Any other places I should check while I'm under there? Also, I need to put the heat shield that is on the driver's side. Could that be the cause or is it just for heat shield purposes?

Sounds to me like the Y-pipe is hitting the floor board or frame rail (DS) you might need to tweak the fitment a bit. Running bigger aftermarket exhaust and Y-pipe??
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS1875
Sounds to me like the Y-pipe is hitting the floor board or frame rail (DS) you might need to tweak the fitment a bit. Running bigger aftermarket exhaust and Y-pipe??
Its a LPP ORY going to the SLP dual/dual catback. The Y has a built in like bump stop on the drivers side to prevent floor banging but idk if that would cause the vibration. It could be hitting the frame rail, I'll look into that.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Launching!

if its anything like him its resting or within a 1/16" next to the lower motor mount....i moved the headers with the flange so they weren't resting on it but i cannot get enough clearance with the current setup. Gonna have to put in a poly or grind the mount.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7plagues
if its anything like him its resting or within a 1/16" next to the lower motor mount....i moved the headers with the flange so they weren't resting on it but i cannot get enough clearance with the current setup. Gonna have to put in a poly or grind the mount.
So did you grind it or put in a poly mount? I figured my motor mounts would be fine, but idk.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Launching!

havent done either, waiting for the time to do so, right now its far enough away that at cruise its quiet but in stop and go i get vibrations.......
Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you were doing LTs you should have gone with poly motor mounts. Next your LTs are hitting your K member, you may need to nothc it out a little bit so that the tube will not be resting on the k member
Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
While you were doing LTs you should have gone with poly motor mounts. Next your LTs are hitting your K member, you may need to nothc it out a little bit so that the tube will not be resting on the k member
thats the problem with mine mine are resting hitting the k-member whats the best thing to do? grind the kmember or what?

i know putting new motor mounts will be the best solution but what can be a good alternative?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobbyd
thats the problem with mine mine are resting hitting the k-member whats the best thing to do? grind the kmember or what?

i know putting new motor mounts will be the best solution but what can be a good alternative?
I forgot what i used, but i barely notch the k member where the LTs were hitting it. took like 10 mins to do...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I thought that was more to do with preventing the Y from banging the floor and the LPPs have this extra bump stop type bracket to prevent that. So you think its the k member that its hitting then?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I thought that was more to do with preventing the Y from banging the floor and the LPPs have this extra bump stop type bracket to prevent that. So you think its the k member that its hitting then?

That was the same vibration i was feeling until i notched my k member then it went away
Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was the same vibration i was feeling until i notched my k member then it went away
So it wasn't that hard to do then, just cutting it? Could you tell where it was hitting or was your's actually resting against it?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How did you notch it cause im having the same problem with my LPPs i didnt want to have to take the header off did you do it with the header on?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

So it wasn't that hard to do then, just cutting it? Could you tell where it was hitting or was your's actually resting against it?
Yes you could see what primary was leaning on the k member. Just notch it out.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 97ta383
How did you notch it cause im having the same problem with my LPPs i didnt want to have to take the header off did you do it with the header on?
I did it with the LTs on. I think i used a hammer and chizzel or a punch with flat tip on it. It only took like 15 mins or so
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did it with the LTs on. I think i used a hammer and chizzel or a punch with flat tip on it. It only took like 15 mins or so
Thats what i was thinking of doing thanks for the advice.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 97ta383
Thats what i was thinking of doing thanks for the advice.
Yeah man not a problem
Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats exactly what I was gonna ask, what did you use to notch it out... Was it a larger area or just a little spot? I guess it could vary but just thought I'd get an idea before we get under there.

Btw I like how everyone with LPP's comes out with the same problem when I get mine haha. Where were you guys at before I bought mine? Jk other than the vibration, they are good headers.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactly what I was gonna ask, what did you use to notch it out... Was it a larger area or just a little spot? I guess it could vary but just thought I'd get an idea before we get under there.

Btw I like how everyone with LPP's comes out with the same problem when I get mine haha. Where were you guys at before I bought mine? Jk other than the vibration, they are good headers.
idk man i have 0 problems with mine, every car is different. and my car only has 37k miles so my motor mounts arent quite as loose i would imagine so i didnt bother with new mounts
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
idk man i have 0 problems with mine, every car is different. and my car only has 37k miles so my motor mounts arent quite as loose i would imagine so i didnt bother with new mounts
Its cool. I thought the motor mounts had more to do with the Y banging and I didn't think I would have that problem. Oh well, hopefully I think I can get it figured out today.

Quick Reply: Common header vibration causes?