Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake installed, now whistle, but no codes and runs well???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 intake installed, now whistle, but no codes and runs well???

Alright guys over the winter I installed an LS6 intake, ported tb, and smooth bellow. I just got the car out tonight for its first real drive and after I got back to the apartment I have a slight whistling noise coming from the engine bay but cant pin point quite where. If there was a vacuum leak from the intake install would it definitely throw a code? Right now I have no codes, it acts fine, idle is good, not down on power or anything, and seems to run well. The whistle has me wondering though...

I want to make sure this is not an issue before the duals go on becuase after I am sure I will not be able to hear these little sounds after....lol
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

anybody?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

You're hearing air moving and it makes the whistle as it moves through the piping.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Magic Man
You're hearing air moving and it makes the whistle as it moves through the piping.
thats what my tuner suggested might have been the cause as well, he said 9x out of 10 it will idle high if there is a leak. i was just looking for some more input, thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

If you had a stock induction before then I would say you noticing the whistle is normal but if you already had the silencer removed before the intake you might have an issue? The factory induction is a lot quieter than all after market setups, with or without the LS6 intake. My induction whistles right now and I still have the LS1 intake. I am running a K&N FIPK with a Shaner ported TB.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
If you had a stock induction before then I would say you noticing the whistle is normal but if you already had the silencer removed before the intake you might have an issue? The factory induction is a lot quieter than all after market setups, with or without the LS6 intake. My induction whistles right now and I still have the LS1 intake. I am running a K&N FIPK with a Shaner ported TB.
ya i noticed that a lot when i swapped the slp lid on, i am starting to think its just cuz i havent driven it in 5 months and i am noticing little sounds again that i was used to before and its making me paranoid
Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it...Put some miles on the car, more then likely it'll go away.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

easiest way to tell is with a smoke machine. my truck always made a funny whistle noise and everyone said it was normal. when we dyno'd the truck was not making the power it should have been. hooked it to smoke machine, and turned out i had 3 leaks. All were small and i didnt notice any of them. made my truck run even better. easiest way to make sure that its not a gasket or PCV line
Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try and use your heater and turn it to floor and then vents etc....
if it stays on just one (like all the air just goes to floor no matter which one you turn it to)
then you have a broken vacuum line in the very back of the intake by the map sensor

i have noticed this on a lot of intake swaps its very common to break it and never even notice it, then you wonder why your damn ac/heater does not work properly
Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use lighetr fluid to find vaccum leaks. Shoot it at the areas of possible leak and the idle and noise will change when you hit it. Another alternative is a stethoscope - I use mine all the time so worth the investment (they're cheap).
Old 03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
try and use your heater and turn it to floor and then vents etc....
if it stays on just one (like all the air just goes to floor no matter which one you turn it to)
then you have a broken vacuum line in the very back of the intake by the map sensor

i have noticed this on a lot of intake swaps its very common to break it and never even notice it, then you wonder why your damn ac/heater does not work properly
i already did that, that little line in the back is for the HVAC controls, one of the first things I checked cuz I was real worried about that line the whole time! all the HVAC stuff works fine, I am going home this weekend to put on the duals before I do I am gonna do the spray carb cleaner around everything and then we will know for sure!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Update:

I used a mini torch with just the gas on at the suggestion of another member and sprayed the gas all around the intake, TB, all hoses, anywhere I could possibly see there being a leak and found none. I couldnt really get it all the way to the back cuz of the cowl but it was close enough and enough to put my mind at ease! The duals will be going on tomorrow as scheduled:grin:

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Cool, did you feel a difference over ls1 intake
Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Here check this vid out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjWipccRhE
Go to the end of the vid for the intake noise.My intake swap from stock to a bbk 80mm and TB w/ the volant cool air intake makes quite a noticable whistle. You can even hear it in the car while driving. It only does it while driving when the throttle is just pushed down a bit, then goes away when pushed down further. it's wierd but whatever, it still hauls ***! ^^
Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1Rook
Cool, did you feel a difference over ls1 intake
It is untuned but ya there seems to be a noticeable difference up top, I only took it wide open once though, my tuner said I should avoid it till I get it to him. I cant wait to get the duals and tune done, I know its gonna be a whole different car! Its definitely a must for any 98-00 fbody...

Originally Posted by Blutroyale
Here check this vid out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjWipccRhE
Go to the end of the vid for the intake noise.My intake swap from stock to a bbk 80mm and TB w/ the volant cool air intake makes quite a noticable whistle. You can even hear it in the car while driving. It only does it while driving when the throttle is just pushed down a bit, then goes away when pushed down further. it's wierd but whatever, it still hauls ***! ^^
Ya you have a pretty loud whistle there, mine is less noticeable. You cant hear it in the car and you have to pop the hood to hear it, its probably my lid or the ported TB. But at this point I am done worrying about it, the car feels solid, idles perfect, and will sound badass after tomorrow!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Talking

Hell yeah man! After the tune you'll notice a difference!

Quick Reply: LS6 intake installed, now whistle, but no codes and runs well???