Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 160 Thermo question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 160 Thermo question.

I tried to search but couldn't find what i was looking for. Anyone have an issue with a new thermo popping for the first time. Started up the new motor and it quickly overheated. Seemed like the Thermostat didn't want to open. I know the system has tons of air in it, i'm having a hard time getting air out of the system without it opening.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump!

No one's had this issue?? Guess Speed Inc is getting their malfunctioning thermostat back.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throw it in a pot of boiling water first. That will tell you if its working or not.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

With an LS1 you have to hold the RPMs at 3K until the new stat will open for the first time.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

don't you have to have the fans set also? so they go on sooner or what not?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

I just tossed in the 160* t-stat when I changed out my water pump. If yours is faulty then get a new one rather than risk ruining your motor. I got the air out of the system by following the t-stat swap instructions on installuniversity.com.
-Joel
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6Power
With an LS1 you have to hold the RPMs at 3K until the new stat will open for the first time.
Well since i have a 98, i was able to read the true temp.. or well close to it. I turned over the new motor.. she idled then i held it @ 2K to get her warm... and well the temps started to creep past 210 so i shut it down.. no sense damaging a new motor. It was taking very little fluid from the radiator..

I'm going to try the install univ's method, and try to get as much air out first.. hope that helps. thanks for the input folks.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you being serious?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats some funny ****.

Mine was installed and I let it idle with the radiator cap off until it opened and the coolant started to flow. Guess I got a good dud.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mssingkid
Well since i have a 98, i was able to read the true temp.. or well close to it. I turned over the new motor.. she idled then i held it @ 2K to get her warm... and well the temps started to creep past 210 so i shut it down.. no sense damaging a new motor. It was taking very little fluid from the radiator..

I'm going to try the install univ's method, and try to get as much air out first.. hope that helps. thanks for the input folks.
Top off the radiator, leave the cap off, as its warming up squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses fast. Squeeze them like 20-30 times each as its warming up. It works every time. If you top it all the way off as you squeeze the hoses it will splash up and out, just squeeze them so you don't make a mess. When it opens up and the level goes down, top it off and your done.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

I had the same issue i let my car cool down and started it up again i held it at 3,000 rpms and still kept heating up so i let it cool down again. started it let it idle for a min and rapped the **** out of it a few times and it stopped oeverheating. make sure your radiator is full first .
Old 03-28-2009, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Yep, I`m serious. If you don`t believe me just give GM a call. When you change the fluid or stat on an LS1 you have to hold the RPMs at 3K in order to get all of the air pockets out of the block. Air wont open the stat and you take a chance at really damaging the engine. Once it opens top it off and lower your fan temps.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Launching!

you need to get the air out of the motor, try disconnecting the coolant crossover tube where it connects to the rubber hose until the coolant comes out.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As correctly stated many times in this thread, the problem is air. Start car, heater on high, run for 3 or 4 minutes tops. Open radiator cap (make sure not hot to touch), add fluid. replace cap. Start car, heater on high, run for 5or 6 minutes; let cool. Remove cap, fill raditor & overflow container. Start car, heater on high & run for 10 minutes. Let cool down. Open radiator & overflow container; fill as required. Go for a short drive. Let car cool. Check radiator & add fluid as needed. Check fluid levels after driving during the next few drives, just to be sure. The problem is air, not the thermostat.

EDIT:
BTW, when I called GM, they said to hold gas pedal to the floor until engine blows, then replace engine w/ a crate engine & then to repeat the process until one learns the proper way to fill & bleed the coolant passages.....whala, overheating problem solved.

Last edited by LS1-450; 03-29-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:02 PM

When I did my heads it took quite a while to work the air out of the system.

Did an engine swap with an electric water pump and was able to work out the air before we started the car.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx everyone. I did put the thermo in boiling water, and sure enough it opened...

Originally Posted by up2nuthingud
you need to get the air out of the motor, try disconnecting the coolant crossover tube where it connects to the rubber hose until the coolant comes out.
This it seems was my biggest problem. I ended up filling the motor from the top of the water pump with the coolant crossover unpluged. Sure enough once the motor got warm the thermostat opened up. I'm guessing that the motor had so much air in the system, there wasn't enough warm coolant getting to the thermo to make it open. She has to be bled a bit more but the new motor isn't getting hot anymore..