Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random misfire...need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random misfire...need help

for some odd reason, If my car sits outside when its raining out or if Im driving on wet roads, I get a random misfire and its bad enough to the point the car will barely accelerate. usually if I stay in one gear and gimp up to about 4k all of a sudden it clears up.

On nice days, the car is fine...only on wet days is misfires like a bastard. Does anyone have any clue as to why? The only thing I can come up with is when I took my PCM out to run my stereo power wire through the firewall that I didnt torque the PCM down right and when its wet out moisture is building up and causing it to misfire. It has new plugs also.

also, I have my rear 02's unplugged since I have a Off road Y pipe. Could the o2 connection be getting wet and shorting out the whole circuit? Im honestly clueless/
Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

you getting the P0300 code? check plugs/wires? maybe you have a bad coil? check to see if the wires are grounding themselves to anything.

the p0300 code is for "random misfire"

they have other codes for which cylinder is misfiring tho too.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that code as well, but I'm pretty sure it's my shitty *** tune... I've got brand new plugs and wires so...
Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by zacht
you getting the P0300 code? check plugs/wires? maybe you have a bad coil? check to see if the wires are grounding themselves to anything.

the p0300 code is for "random misfire"

they have other codes for which cylinder is misfiring tho too.
Its random. P0300.

The plug wires/coils only have 55k on them and the motor itself has 11k. Plugs dont even have 1000k on them since my cam install. This issue has been going on well before my cam/dyno tune and still after...obviously like I said when its only wet out.

I popped my hood with the car running in the dark and I couldnt see/hear any arching.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
I get that code as well, but I'm pretty sure it's my shitty *** tune... I've got brand new plugs and wires so...
its not just the code tho...its actually misfiring. It will be blinking non stop and I could get beat by a neon cause the car barely moves when I go to acclerate.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM

same thing just started happening to my t/a today. we had a wet snow the other day, and today i started the car, ran fine for a few miles then started misfiring. the code is p036 and the misfire is on cylinder #6, any help out there?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was a loose #6 plug wire.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

i got same exact deal i went from a new pump already had bought befor problem to new plugs for nos and wires also new injectors also for nos and cleanin of fuel rails bit only happened whenwas moisture out and rain also hasnt happend since i rewired my o2 extension splices tho bro so check those moisture was gettin in splices i guess i rerouted to keep away from moisture as much as could i was workin for gm at time had a tech 2 hooked up to it and when misfire was happenin would be two single cylinders misfirin when id gas would diminish so check those splices if u have rewired ur o2s
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tito
i got same exact deal i went from a new pump already had bought befor problem to new plugs for nos and wires also new injectors also for nos and cleanin of fuel rails bit only happened whenwas moisture out and rain also hasnt happend since i rewired my o2 extension splices tho bro so check those moisture was gettin in splices i guess i rerouted to keep away from moisture as much as could i was workin for gm at time had a tech 2 hooked up to it and when misfire was happenin would be two single cylinders misfirin when id gas would diminish so check those splices if u have rewired ur o2s
so basicly the misfire problem was caused by your o2 extentions? was it the front or the rear? i havnt fully deleted my rears yet.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Teching In

yupp i used the pacestter splice kit tat came wit my long tubes i taped em up pretty good after solderin wires and usin weather tight covers but water still got in and yupp i still havnt deleted my rears lol still drivin arnd like tat no misfire yet been almost half a year since tat was annoyin as hell it was the wirin for my front o2 sensors since my rears ar just unplugged and hangin there
Old 03-31-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by tito
yupp i used the pacestter splice kit tat came wit my long tubes i taped em up pretty good after solderin wires and usin weather tight covers but water still got in and yupp i still havnt deleted my rears lol still drivin arnd like tat no misfire yet been almost half a year since tat was annoyin as hell it was the wirin for my front o2 sensors since my rears ar just unplugged and hangin there
so you just fixed your front o2 sensors and it fixed it?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

yea i just rewired whole new splices to extensions one by one all over again ull see if waters gotten in there water causes tricky deals in electrical components