Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker aerochamber help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker aerochamber help!!

I want to get a hooker aerochamber muffler on my stock slp 2002 camaro ss exhaust... alot of people told me that it would sound great but i cant believe it because its just a stock system... can anyone help me with suggestions sound clips or anything!!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

GO TO LS1SOUNDS.COM .....there are sound clips there.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the hooker CB with their LTs and O/R Y. If you are looking for a loud CB this is not the CB for you.

At idle it is close to stock, regular driving it is slightly louder than stock and at WOT it has a nice muscular tone but isn't overbearing...

I paired a cutout with this setup that way I can be obnoxious when needed...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Hookers ....Should.....Be Quiet........................
Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on more moding in the future get the hooker CB. As said above it is not a very loud CB on a stock car, but add headers, off road y pipe, and a cam and it gets louder. With every thing I have done to my car I would not want it any louder at crusing speeds and it screams at WOT. Also the hooker is one of the best flowing CB's for the f body.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
At idle it is close to stock,
ha....horseshit.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

The thing that i dont think you guys understand is... my car is completely stock... it has the upgraded slp exhaust option though on the 02... so whats a good muffler to put on my car then to make it sound louder!!??
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

^His vid notwithstanding, it's pretty quiet on a stock car. I have the muffler grafted onto the stock I-pipe on my M6 car and it's only slightly louder than stock in typical driving. But it has good sound quality and I like it quite a bit.

If you want good quality LOUD sound with stock manifolds and Y, then GMMG is your best bet. But $$$$. Or if you don't want to spend a lot and don't care much about flow, Flowmaster. Yeah, that's it - just get a Flowmaster.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Teching In

So i ended up going with the flowmaster 40 series muffler... got to many bad responses about the hooker being too quiet... thoughts? and thanks for the help
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
ha....horseshit.

Mine is loud at initial start up then gets quiet....what may be loud to you is quiet to the next person
Old 04-01-2009, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by steezy
So i ended up going with the flowmaster 40 series muffler... got to many bad responses about the hooker being too quiet... thoughts? and thanks for the help
I like how Flowmasters sound that's about it. I think you should have went with a Hooker CB + Electric cutout .....
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

I'd post a video but gay *** Youtube disabled my video because it has unlicensed music on it....

Youtube is very lame now a days
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You just bought a muffler thats about 2x more restrictive than the Hooker

Hooker CB's are not quiet. Once they "break in" a little bit, they get louder. I had a Hooker CB on my 98 SS that made 475 rwhp (heads/cam). After about 6 months with the hooker on the car, it was a LOT louder. Still sounded good though.

Flowmasters are garbage for F-bodies. Pure garbage.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Teching In

well your in luck because the flows i bought were wrong anyways haha so i think im gonna get hookers... im new to the muscle car world... what are hooker cb's and will they fit on my stock slp exhaust?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

well your in luck because the flows i bought were wrong anyways haha so i think im gonna get hookers... im new to the muscle car world... what are hooker cb's and will they fit on my stock slp exhaust?
I'm assuming "cb" is "cat back", or catalytic converter back exhaust system. If that is the case, then this is a replacement exhaust from behind the catalytic converter back. Ergo, your would have to lose the SLP exhaust.
Luckily for you, Hooker sells the the muffler alone. I'm not sure how effective it is by itself though because most of these kits are sold as kits for a reason. Often times, performance items only work as well as they are advertised when used with the other items they were designed to work with. i.e., the kit.
I'm not really sure why you'de want to get rid of the SLP setup to begin with. Unless something is messed up with it, SLP's exhausts are designed to support past 500 horsepower. I have never gotten anything from SLP that didn't do exactly what it was advertised to do either. Basically what I'm saying is that until your build exceeds the SLP exhausts capabilities, I'd leave it right where it is. If you don't have SLP's headers and cats, I'd make that my first priority. That would be all the extra noise you need. After that, I'd recommend grafting a set of Flowmaster Pulse Tech Scavenger tri y collectors, or Dynatech, Edelbrock, or Borla merged collectors to the SLP headers. The tri Y collectors straight rock for off idle torque.
Be careful with exhaust mods because often times people make the same mistakes with them as they do with cams. They stuff the biggest one they can find in the car and wonder why they lost thier low end torque... personal experience... lol
Old 04-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
You just bought a muffler thats about 2x more restrictive than the Hooker Hooker CB's are not quiet. Once they "break in" a little bit, they get louder. I had a Hooker CB on my 98 SS that made 475 rwhp (heads/cam).
The sound of a Hooker on a 475 rwhp car can hardly be compared to a stock car with manifolds, cats, stock Y and I.

The OP asked about a muffler to attach to the stock system - not even a catback. He also said he wants something louder. I have that setup on my M6 car with a Hooker and it's QUIET.
I can tell you right now - if you want loud and you install a Hooker muffler in your current setup, you are going to be disappointed with it. It won't be that much louder than what you have now.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The sound of a Hooker on a 475 rwhp car can hardly be compared to a stock car with manifolds, cats, stock Y and I.

The OP asked about a muffler to attach to the stock system - not even a catback. He also said he wants something louder. I have that setup on my M6 car with a Hooker and it's QUIET.
I can tell you right now - if you want loud and you install a Hooker muffler in your current setup, you are going to be disappointed with it. It won't be that much louder than what you have now.
I'm glad someone else understand what I was saying....
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If hooker aero chamber is to quiet get hooker max flow its much louder .But at the same time do you have the slp dd ? That's the best there is but if its noise your looking for slp loud mouth II its real raspy I bet you won't hear your radio.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I'm glad someone else understand what I was saying....
What didn't get processed correctly? Is a "CB" not "Cat-Back"? I meant everything I recommended. The stock SLP exhaust system, if it is a REAL SLP exhaust, will support upward of 500 horse. If it is what the OP says it is, it would be stupid to replace any part of it just to make more noise -short of adding SLP's headers and cats.. Which, if the op's SLP car isn't equipped with SLP's headers already, should be plenty of extra sonic volume...and a better choice for the "next" exhaust mod.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Why not just leave the muffler off? Put a pipe in place of it and see how it sounds..