Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Motor Mount Questions

Old 04-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Motor Mount Questions

What is the easiest way to install them?

Do they have any long term negative effects to the chassis or any other parts?

My friend was telling me you need to take off the intake manifold to have enough clearance to raise the motor to install them. Is that true?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No that's not true
Old 04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided not to go with solid motor mounts since it makes working on your tranny a major pain in the ***
Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unertl42
I decided not to go with solid motor mounts since it makes working on your tranny a major pain in the ***
This is true. I had to take the TH350 out of my CETA and ended up drililng a hole in the trans tunnel to get to a bolt.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 20Formula01
What is the easiest way to install them?

Do they have any long term negative effects to the chassis or any other parts?

My friend was telling me you need to take off the intake manifold to have enough clearance to raise the motor to install them. Is that true?

There are some write ups in the stickies. If you have access to a rack, it will be a little easier.

As far as longterm effects, you might want to check your bolts every once in a while to make sure they are tight. The vibrations might loosen them up over time. Hasn't happened to me, but I think a couple of people mentioned it did for them.

Taking off the intake manifold is not required, by any means. Now, if you want to...you could. I'm sure it would make things easier to put the mounts in, but why go through all the trouble of taking it off, when you can install them without removing the intake manifold?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as the install goes i didn't have to remove anything except the alt(no ac). there is plenty of room to jack the motor up without removing the intake as everybody said. when i swapped my tranny i did remove the intake to get to the 12 o'clock bolt on the bell housing, but it wasn't there. after loosening the bolts that hold the mounts to the k-member i was able to tilt the motor back just like it was on stock mounts. i've had the solids for a couple years with no complaints
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by outkast6991
as far as the install goes i didn't have to remove anything except the alt(no ac). there is plenty of room to jack the motor up without removing the intake as everybody said. when i swapped my tranny i did remove the intake to get to the 12 o'clock bolt on the bell housing, but it wasn't there. after loosening the bolts that hold the mounts to the k-member i was able to tilt the motor back just like it was on stock mounts. i've had the solids for a couple years with no complaints
just wondering, how easy is it to get to the mount bolts with solids? and did it make a bit more room? i know with my poly inserts in the stock mount, there's barley any room to get to the bolts and one has vibrated out.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dutinsss
just wondering, how easy is it to get to the mount bolts with solids? and did it make a bit more room? i know with my poly inserts in the stock mount, there's barley any room to get to the bolts and one has vibrated out.

all the bolts are in plain sight and there is a ton of room

Search this Thread