Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lol, you've got to be kidding me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default lol, you've got to be kidding me...

So, this afternoon I was going back through and torquing my motor mount bolts and putting loc tite on them just for good measure and I cannot believe what happened. The first on went fine. Pulled it, put loc tite on it and re-installed it. Torqued it to 70 and then pulled the second one. I put loc tite on it re-installed it and torqued it. Well I got to about 45 (I have a digital torque wrench so I know the readout as it torques) and POP!. Snapped the ****** bolt off in the K-member. Never had that happen before. I double checked the torque specs for the car just to make sure I was right (I've done three sets of these now) and sure enough I am.

Engine mount to Engine block... 37 lb ft
Engine mount through bolts... 70 lb ft

So I didn't even make it half way. WTF. I guess I'm not really mad I'm just wondering what the hell happened lol. Anyways, my options are either drop the K member, remove the remnant of the bolt and do it over or swap to a tubular K member. I'd rather go Tubular but can I use my solid mounts with a tubular K member?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe just a wore out bolt? has it been torqued many times?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zacht
maybe just a wore out bolt? has it been torqued many times?
Nope. 17k miles on the car. Bolt had never been out. This was the first time torquing it in.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you were tightening the bolts that hold the engine stands to the k member at 70ft lbs. Is that what you did? The through bolt is the single large bolt that holds the block mounts to the stands on the k member
Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

jsut an excuse to get a tublar K-member
Old 05-14-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

That ******* sucks man. While installing Polys in my buddy's 98 Z28 I twisted the head off one the motor mount to block bolts and proceeded to spend the next week digging the rest of the bolt outta the block. That was a good time, let me tell ya. There is barely any room to work in there, but I managed to get it out without having to pull the motor or drop the K-member. I did remove the MM pedestall and one of its bolts was pretty shitty. It was really tough to break loose, so I sprayed it with some penetrating **** and worked it loose. It ended up being all rusty so I replaced it. It's like a $4.00 bolt from GM. Anyways, thats my experience. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with yours.