Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Lowered AND True Duals...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling all Lowered AND True Duals...

What did you all end up with for ground clearance on your lowered cars with true dual set ups?

My first attempt at TDs sucked. My ground clearance is BAD
I am wondering what a good number is for clearance.

If I can get to 3in at my lowest spot will that be good enough? Or do I need more?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I am in this pool, you will just have to realize that speed bumps, weird inclines, and ramps are not your thing anymore. I will literally park somewhere else if i cannot make it up a ramp to a store and walk.

You either learn to live with TDs or you switch back to ORY. I am switching back to ORY
Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My ground clearance is about the same as it was with the 3" ORY. I have a true dual over-the-axle setup on my car. My car isn't lowered though, if it was I think I would be scraping all over the place. Regardless of how close you tuck a 3" pipe to the floorboard, its still going to compromise your ground clearance over the stock, small diameter exhaust pipes.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

i have the slp lm2 on mine with the long tube slp headers and i hate it! its like im am constantly doing route recon to see how the parking lots are. its horrible im lowered an inch all around. here are some pics of my ground clearance.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

im lowered and running kooks 1 7/8 lt's, to 3 in mandrel bends, x pipe, dynomax bullets pigeon toed out. i hit my exhaust on alot of **** but will never change it due to how bad *** it sounds. it has yet to rip off!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scammper
What did you all end up with for ground clearance on your lowered cars with true dual set ups?

If I can get to 3in at my lowest spot will that be good enough? Or do I need more?

Thanks!
I am running true duals with cats, but stock manifolds. Car is lowered just shy of 2". I have better ground clearance now than I had with the stock system, which is one reason why I switched to it, the other is I hated the way the flowmaster sounded on the car.

If you get a good exhaust installer you should be good to go, but I think most installers don't spend the time now days to get the system tucked up tight and neat to the bottom of the car.

Here are pics and a link to more photos of what I got.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...%20SS/Exhaust/

Shot from the front

Shot from the side

Shot of his custom x pipe

Shot of the rear, over the axle, and hidden in the driver side.

It keeps sounding better all the time
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea just learn to live with it. True duals are badass though!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran TD on a couple diff cars, and I built a TD x setup with dumped bullets on my buddies SS w/ sportlines. Its pretty low because its all 3inch tubing, but it sticks down about as low as most Y setups.

If you tuck the mufflers/turndows close it helps a lot. Use BOLTS to hang the rear pipes and just drag it on crap if need be, it won't hurt!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scammper

Thanks!
ha this sounds kind of familiar my first attempt is ok but i know others have gotten better clearance with the TSP kit then I did. my turndowns are the lowest and is the only thing that has scraped so far. one is right at 3" the other side just a little under 3...i think lowering is out for me without everyday being a nightmare...
Old 05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So how do the true duals compare in clearance to the Y pipe on someone using SLP Longtubes?? I have been thinking of selling my exhaust setup and going with pacesetters and true duals. Would i get better ground clearance or still bad?? Yes it would be full 3"
Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really would like to know also. i plan on swapping out my pacesetter ory and magnaflow for tsp tru duals and sweet thunders.. i plan on being lowered 1- 1.25". i hope ill be fine.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys Im telling you the only way to do this right is to section out the floor pan beneath the back seats. I had this done and gained an easy 3 inches of clearance. The lowest part of my exhaust is where my drivers side cat is under the drivers seat, from there back I have more clearance than I did with a 3 inch y pipe. I have pacesetters, custom H and full size dynomax pro flow's. Another great thing about it is that I have no drone, and cruising around its about as loud as a magnaflow catback, but when I get on it it sounds ****! My mufflers hang no lower than my rear sway bar, and the back seats only needed a little bit of trimming on the bottom. The foam ridge on the bottom of the seat thats against the tranny tunnel was removed, thats all.

Here are some of the pics, let me know if they work or not.

Last edited by ZMONSTER!; 05-01-2009 at 05:17 PM.