Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Installation- Advice

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Installation- Advice

So I have a 00' ws6 M6 and am installing a pair of Pacesetter LTs and ORY this weekend. I know basically what I am in for but if ANYONE has any kind of TIPS or HINTS before I get started I would really appreciate it. Thanks Guys
Old 04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

A few install tips:

- Patience; if after working for several hours without any apparent results take a break. Things often have a way of working out coming back from a fresh start.

- A breaker bar is your friend.

- All LT's go in from the bottom.

- The stock cat bolts will often break, especially on the older 98-99 cars, don’t worry about it.

- Use plenty of penetrating oil on all the cat to manifold bolts.

- Have a buddy/wife/gf help you out when need be.

- Remove the oil diverter for a bit more room on the drivers side install.

- May or may not have to knotch the K-member and floor board clearance (CamaroCain).

- Steering shaft removal may or may not be required. (For my install I couldn’t get the damn thing to budge, so I used a die grinder to grind down the block tab to get the drivers side header to slide up). Heed the warning on the steering shaft before removal.

- Have all the proper tools before the outset of installation; jack/jack stands and/or ramps, basic hand tools (3/8, 1/2 drive ratchet, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm, ect sockets), hammer. Optional but very handy tools that may or may not be needed; sawz-all, die grinder, 2x4 4x4 pieces of wood and/or some bricks.

- Get the car as high as safely possible. It's alot higher then you think. (During my own install I had the rear on ramps and the front was propped up with my jack on a 4x4 piece of wood to get the extra clearance need.)

- Don’t think it has to be mentioned but I’ll say it anyway; use safety goggles where applicable and make sure your car is secured on the ramp/jack stands before getting under the car and working on it. Basically don’t do any stupid ****

- Give yourself plenty of time to get the install done; first time around factor in 5-12hrs. Don’t worry if it takes you longer, just concentrate on getting it done right and gaining the experience

- Typical prices a shop will charge for an install are 300-500 dollars depending on location. If you have the time, you owe it to yourself to give the install a shot yourself. It’s not that hard and doesn’t require alot of technical knowledge or experience. If you run into trouble during the install come to the boards in a calm and collected manner and you'll get your answer in no time.

All from the sticky on the top of the external ls1 page (headers are external btw) also there is a write up in there for installing pacesetter headers. Good luck.
Edit: Here is that write up I was talking about http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1, except i would never work under a jack. you should always use jackstands.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

my advice.. run it around the block a few times with open headers after you get them installed, you will love it hahaha
Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A sawzall to cut a casting tab off the driver side of the motor.

That is the only clearance adjustments I've had to do on 3 Camaros with Pacesetters. After that they slide in easy.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jetlag
A sawzall to cut a casting tab off the driver side of the motor.

That is the only clearance adjustments I've had to do on 3 Camaros with Pacesetters. After that they slide in easy.
mine slid in easily without cutting the tab. i know it's harmless, just sayin..
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
- Get the car as high as safely possible. It's alot higher then you think. (During my own install I had the rear on ramps and the front was propped up with my jack on a 4x4 piece of wood to get the extra clearance need.)
[/URL]
best advice there, the higher you get the car the easier it will be.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

install instructions from my site

i took several install guides, did it myself and then typed up my own guide
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Took me damn near 2 days to do every thing for the first time ever. Remove the ignition coils for more room. The 10mm ratchet wrench helped alot for those hard to reach bolts...cost like 10 dollars at lowe's.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, especially to shortchevy. I really appreciate it. but now, on to the cussing...
Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6onSLICKS
thanks guys, especially to shortchevy. I really appreciate it. but now, on to the cussing...
No problem man, like I said everything I said was directly from the sticky at the top of this section. If ya get some time take a look through the stickys. There is usually 100 answers to all the questions asked here daily. Hopefully my LPP headers will make it here by Saturday so I have a weekend to mess with the install
Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

i have a 2000 ws6 also and when i did my pacesetters on the drivers side i had to unbolt drivers side motor mount and jack up that side a little bit the get the header to slide up

Search this Thread