Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR! block off plates for $3

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR! block off plates for $3

So I finally got around to removing the AIR! system. It was already tuned out just had to remove the actual unit. There are threads everywhere showing removal and how to remove it so I'll skip that part. Anyway, I made my own block off plates out of metal outlet covers without any holes in them. It was pretty easy. I just took the tubes going into the block off and cut the end part off. I had to do this because the bolts need the extra height of that plate to screw down all the way. Then I took one of the covers and traced around the AIR! part and cut out a plate. Then drilled 2 holes to line up with the AIR! plate. I left the gaskets on to help seal it. I guess I could of done a better job but I don't really want a "badass" block off plate, just want something to stop the leaks. You can get the metal panels in the electrical outlet section of Lowes. They are 11/16" metal covers/flat with no openings #19848. I chose to get the ones that look like a lightswitch cover because they were easier to cut. Also, I got the ones with 2 small screws already in them to make one side easier to drill.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice, im gonna have to look into doing the same
Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ! is supposed to go in front of the word when indicating you removed something, not after
Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Not to knock your style or anything, I like making my own stuff too. But damn man, all of this to save 5 dollars that you really didnt save. Unless you work at Lowe's and grabbed the parts leaving work. Besides the cost of the metal then you have your gas driving to and from there, figure in your time. How much is your time worth to cut and drill? I think you would have been better off spending the 8 dollars on Speed INC block off plates that look better and bolt on with no modification.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i saw a guy on here do it for less. he used a penny! same difference though, i always feel better doing it myself. i wouldn't want those shape edges though.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Not to knock your style or anything, I like making my own stuff too. But damn man, all of this to save 5 dollars that you really didnt save. Unless you work at Lowe's and grabbed the parts leaving work. Besides the cost of the metal then you have your gas driving to and from there, figure in your time. How much is your time worth to cut and drill? I think you would have been better off spending the 8 dollars on Speed INC block off plates that look better and bolt on with no modification.
Actually, after you add shipping to the order its around $17. I didn't wanna wait so when they turn brown you wont even notice. I'm sure somebody could do a better job but its just a plate that will eventually rust and look the same. I did this all in 30 minutes and I don't work by the hour so I didn't calculate time and cost. You are trying to get too technical. I didn't wanna wait so I made my own... done deal. Lowes is my second home so after I got stuff I happen to buy these.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

That looks pretty nasty.Cut the plate to the gasket and bolt down it will look a bunch better and even better if you use button bolts.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just welded the holes closed
Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

I did something similar on a few cars, though I just welded the hole shut.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Actually, after you add shipping to the order its around $17. I didn't wanna wait so when they turn brown you wont even notice. I'm sure somebody could do a better job but its just a plate that will eventually rust and look the same. I did this all in 30 minutes and I don't work by the hour so I didn't calculate time and cost. You are trying to get too technical. I didn't wanna wait so I made my own... done deal. Lowes is my second home so after I got stuff I happen to buy these.
I stand corrected. I didn't take the time to do a shipping quote before. I like Speed INC. but how can they really charge $9.20 for shipping something you can stick in a 40 cent envolope. I didn't notice this becuase when i bought mine I got them with a SLP lid so everything was combined. Sorry dude.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

i don't think deleting the a.i.r. is gonna make that big of a difference when you still have the stock manifolds...i just bought race style headers and took out mine when it came time to install.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z2h8t
i don't think deleting the a.i.r. is gonna make that big of a difference when you still have the stock manifolds...i just bought race style headers and took out mine when it came time to install.
the only difference it makes is appearance so it is well worth it bc the AIR system is fugly. also a good place to lose about 5 lbs off the front of your car if you remove the air pump
Old 04-10-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigti99a
i saw a guy on here do it for less. he used a penny! same difference though, i always feel better doing it myself. i wouldn't want those shape edges though.
LOL! Thats what I did! Cost me $.07 because I used a Nickel on the EGR! Looked a hell of alot better than some jagged metal pieces too.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used one of the heat shields from under the car, transfered the pattern and cut it out. Didn't cost me anything