Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what headers can I put on a lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what headers can I put on a lowered car?

My car is lowered with a prokit and I was wondering what headers I could put on and still drive the car. I have SLPs larger ypipe so clearance is already a issue. I want to keep cats because I couldn't handle the GMMG without them. Some pics of my car are below to give you a idea ho low were talkin here. I already know that I cant even look at SLPs header because they hang to low so say your time.

P.S. this is not my daily drive so that will help some
thanks Bill
http://community.webshots.com/user/slpfan
Old 10-26-2003, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have QTP LT's on my lowered TA. I also have the Eibach ProKit. With my custom oval Y-pipe my lowest clearance point on the entire system is 3 1/4 inches. The lowest header clearance spot is about 3 1/2 inches.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most headers other than SLP's tuck up pretty well, the problem is the Y-pipe more specifically the drivers side hanging down pretty low, I'm in the same boat , I need headers but I'm lowered a good 1.5" , the options are looking kind of bleak.That includes using Mac's.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the only thing you have to worry about is the Y. It will scrape going over bumps and steep entrances. Good luck man, I would defiantly agree on getting LT's though.

WeS
Old 10-26-2003, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out Kooks. There headers tuck up nicely - same as the QTPs, but their ypipe is flattened a little bit on the drivers side - not like the stock one, but just a bit so there is clearance.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had FLP's on my T/A with Eibach Pro, and they cleared OK, kept scraping the ring connectors on the y-pipe more than anything. I now have Stainless Works headers, and the clearance is even better. Check them out, price is great and fitment is awesome.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

my pacesetters have plenty of clearance. But as said above any of the newer LT headers will tuck up pretty well. SLP's are the only ones I've ever heard much of a problem with.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the info i'll let you know what I get whenever I decide to get it.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you from personal experience that the SLP LTs suck for ground clearance...I scrape everywhere. I have the Bilstein susp. option on my SS, so I'm lowered about an inch...these damn things scrape everywhere. I used to defend them, but after the scraping and poor performance, I'm changing my tune. I'm gonna change to kooks.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris99WS6PWTMET
I have QTP LT's on my lowered TA. I also have the Eibach ProKit. With my custom oval Y-pipe my lowest clearance point on the entire system is 3 1/4 inches. The lowest header clearance spot is about 3 1/2 inches.
Another vote for QTP long tubes, they tuck up as close as possible; any closer and they would touching the floor pan! I also have the SLP Y pipe, those things hang way too low! So I modified mine to tuck up close, and to fit the QTP's. My car is lowered 2 inches and my ground clearance is great. I have some pics if you want to see them.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

The Hookers and hooker y pipe tuck up pretty good as well.