Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout with catted ypipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutout with catted ypipe

OK a little background on what im running exhaust wise. American racing lt, catted y-pipe, and borla with adjustable plate catback. I have no plate in the catback. My catback seems pretty free flowing. Do yous think I would see lower times at track and would it be any louder if i ran a cutout on my (I) pipe? I was also thinking about trying to run dual cutouts before cats. I think that may cause some troubles tho. Being so close to front 02 sensors may cause car to run rich. Also burnt valves and lose of tq. Sorry for long post Im just trying to see if I can squeeze any more power out of my exhaust. thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moved down the I-pipe will be a waste of effort. There will be very marginal, if any gains.

If you're really thinking of changing your setup, do two dumps off the headers, and get the car tuned to run that way. I wouldn't be surprised if you did lose torque though. Not too sure about burning valves though...I think that's a thing of the past (not sure).

Check out the dyno section to see results.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no power gain

it will not make the car run rich or cause damage to valves if or lose torque if you decide to move it anyways.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Mine is after my y pipe and i have a custom full 3" catback with a 3"in/out Bullet muffler and i picked up 13hp and 11lb tq.... huge gain and this was DYNO PULL CAPPED DYNO PULL UNCAPPED within minutes of each other.....
i have the Texas speed Y Pipe with the High flow cats... Its alot louder and really no rasp at all, i always get complimented on the sound of the exhaust...... did i mention 13hp and 11lb tq over a 3" Bullet muffler and full 3" exhaust..... and did not lose anything AT ANY RPM RANGE gained as low as the dyno could read

Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Frostbitten09
Mine is after my y pipe and i have a custom full 3" catback with a 3"in/out Bullet muffler and i picked up 13hp and 11lb tq.... huge gain and this was DYNO PULL CAPPED DYNO PULL UNCAPPED within minutes of each other.....
i have the Texas speed Y Pipe with the High flow cats... Its alot louder and really no rasp at all, i always get complimented on the sound of the exhaust...... did i mention 13hp and 11lb tq over a 3" Bullet muffler and full 3" exhaust..... and did not lose anything AT ANY RPM RANGE gained as low as the dyno could read

hmm.. how restrictive is the bullet muffler. I dont know if ur fimilar with the adjustable plate borla system but its pretty free flowing. Also what are your mods? If im able to pick up a tenth or so at track I might get one.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

put an electric cutout where the borla plate would go
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Im almost postive I wouldnt gain anything worth while putting cutout by plate. I run the catback with no plate all the time.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yea the point is you can close it and run around quieter
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frostbitten09

what muffler do you have a spiral flow or something? i fing it hard to believe if it is just a dynomax bullet or something similar.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

it is a Dynomax Bullet muffler... Straight through nothing inside, You could put a baseball bat through it.... Real dynomax Bullet... I cant picture any exhaust being free'r flowing....
TTP did the tune, he showed me the dynoresults....
o and im sorry mixed it up 11hp 13lb tq

http://dynomax.com/products/raceseries.html
Compact, round design for tight ground clearance.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lightweight construction.
Maximum flow, minimum sound control.
2-4 dbA reduction compared to straight pipe.
The ultimate race muffler