Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with overheating

The weather has finally started to break i Minot and getting a little warm. My car is running hotter than normal, i ecpexted a slight increase. However the temp guage is sitting halfway btween the 210 moark and what looks like 240 and the fans are staying on even after i turn the car off for a minute or so. When i turned it off the hoses didn't feel tight, and there was no coolant overflow or steam. could this be the radiator, water pump or thermostat? I am not throwing any codes other than one for a bad egr pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to blow a head gasket!

Also with this increased temp my oil pressure is lower than normal. I usually hot idle at about 40psi now it halfway between the 20 and 40 mark when she runs hot.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Perform the obvious checks first.

Coolant level is full.
Radiator cap (spring is clean and actually working and gasket is not dry or broken).
AC Condensor is clean of debris. As much as 25 percent of the AC condensor fins along the bottom can become clogged with fine sand pebbles and/or mud. Same for the radiator. Clean out both.
The passenger side of the radiator plastic has cracked just under the overflow tube.
The temp sensor in radiator is dirty (if you don't change the Dexcool very often).
Purge the overflow tank - it can contain a mess if it has never been cleaned.
Remove and inspect the thermostat. They are much cheaper now than the $65 they used to cost.

New 97 style SLP radiators (wider) are cheap now - around $125.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with the debris ^ When we did my cam swap
there was a whole lot of crap came out, and my car
had maybe 30Kmiles and a lot less years than yours.
Shop air, or even a garden hose backwards through
the fins will do. You have to separate the radiator
and condenser and clean both.