Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision time, what exhaust setup would be best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Decision time, what exhaust setup would be best?

Decision time, what exhaust setup would be best? I have three exhaust options, mods are in my signature:

A) Hooker LT headers, into 3" y-pipe w/ 4" collector, then reduce from 4" to 3.5" back to a 3.5" cutout, then reduce to 3" into Hooker catback. Do you think this will be enough exhaust for my mods in my sig? I think that with the combo stated above, I could maintain some "quiet" on the street, and still have a free flowing exhaust for the track, whatcha think?

B) 3" true duals, with "X" pipe, and some sort of muffler (bullet, twister, etc)

C) Hooker LT headers, into this y-pipe (Click here) then into 3" Hooker catback. Would dual 3" cutouts provide anybenefit -vs- a single 3.5" cutout?

I am leaning towards "A". Will I lose much with "A" versus "B" or "C"? I want duals for maximum flow and light weight, but I am really afraid that I will end up hating to drive my car anywhere, that duals will be too loud or resonance will be too much. Plan "A" or "C" would allow me to cruise comfortably, and still have free flowing exhaust at the track, while plan "B" would have me the most possible power all of the time.

I guess my question is, forget about on the street, but will "A" with the 3.5" cutout open be enough (read: as good) as plan "B"? Will "C" be better than "A"? Will my ETs or MPH suffer any with either setup?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B) 3" true duals, with "X" pipe, and some sort of muffler (bullet, twister, etc)

just get a quiet muffler for these don't go for the bullets.
I had basically setup a before switching to setup b and I switched because of the rasp, yes there was no drone but the rasp made me not want to drive the car. If you get setup A. make sure you get a really well put together y to try and eliminate most of the rasp. The duals did eliminate all rasp from my car. So consider both options
Old 10-27-2003, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually looking at it again C would be a good y pipe I bet, I was thinking of getting the same one to replace my hooker y