Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom 4" Exhaust with Dynatech Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Custom 4" Exhaust with Dynatech Muffler

My current setup is as follows:
PaceSetter Headers
DynaTech VBand Clamps
PaceSetter ORY
4" Flowmaster Merge
Hooker CatBack

I want to ditch the hooker and go with a 4" muffler right after the merge with a turndown. With ground clearance, weight, and noise being my concerns, I have been looking at what DynaTech offers. So far I think I like the idea of their 4" Split-Flow Muffler with the Cone insert/turndown. The muffler is only 4.5" tall, so thats only 1/4 inch less clearance than the 4" pipe. Its 7" wide and the shell is 14" long. They claim a 6 to 8 db reduction in sound, and the cone insert should provide an additional 1 to 3 db reduction. That doesnt really sound like much in the way of sound reduction, but I don't know how many db it would be without a muffler. They make a cone that isnt a turndown that I could put between the merge and muffler. They dont look like they would stop much flow, and they claim that since they are shaped like a cone, there is more surface area to allow gasses thru with little to no restriction. I just want to ditch the catback, use my existing Y pipe, and not kill myself with noise... but get that dumptruck deepness that I love. Should sound good with my cam. I am also not opposed to putting some cats in, but I also dont want to dodge speed bumps. In the future I'll be using the strano suspension, so its going to drop some. Right now my Y pipe is the mac-daddy of ground clearance!

Let me know what you think, or what you would do different. If you've heard a Dynatech muffler then PLEASE chime in.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 5-6" round (cant remember which one) dynomax muffler on my t/a for a few days till my catback came. It was so ungodly loud inside i hated it. couldnt have a convo with someone if you wanted to, almost hurt your ears. if ur going to dump a muffler under the car, i would sugest finding the quietest one you can.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
My current setup is as follows:
PaceSetter Headers
DynaTech VBand Clamps
PaceSetter ORY
4" Flowmaster Merge
Hooker CatBack

I want to ditch the hooker and go with a 4" muffler right after the merge with a turndown. With ground clearance, weight, and noise being my concerns, I have been looking at what DynaTech offers. So far I think I like the idea of their 4" Split-Flow Muffler with the Cone insert/turndown. The muffler is only 4.5" tall, so thats only 1/4 inch less clearance than the 4" pipe. Its 7" wide and the shell is 14" long. They claim a 6 to 8 db reduction in sound, and the cone insert should provide an additional 1 to 3 db reduction. That doesnt really sound like much in the way of sound reduction, but I don't know how many db it would be without a muffler. They make a cone that isnt a turndown that I could put between the merge and muffler. They dont look like they would stop much flow, and they claim that since they are shaped like a cone, there is more surface area to allow gasses thru with little to no restriction. I just want to ditch the catback, use my existing Y pipe, and not kill myself with noise... but get that dumptruck deepness that I love. Should sound good with my cam. I am also not opposed to putting some cats in, but I also dont want to dodge speed bumps. In the future I'll be using the strano suspension, so its going to drop some. Right now my Y pipe is the mac-daddy of ground clearance!

Let me know what you think, or what you would do different. If you've heard a Dynatech muffler then PLEASE chime in.
THey are not quiet mufflers at ALL. they are pretty raw sounding, much like borla XR1 race mufflers.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdh2bBwJTys

Hey check out that video, it's a 4 inch magnaflow diesel muffler dumped behind the axle.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

I had an XR1 that I used in a loud mouth, or really a borla-mouth... along with a catted Y pipe. That was a sweet sound, IMO. Noise at that level was tollerable by all means. But, it didnt have a cam then either. I'm not looking for stealthy, more of a cop and neighbor friendly setup. If it could be a tad quieter than true duals then I think I'd be okay with it.

That video was nasty. That car, with a 408, is FAST! Sounded goood too!
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything dumped under the car is going to magnify the sound.
My suggestion is get a Mufflex 4" catback.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1W66

+1 on this. If you are looking for something not too loud, make sure that you run it out the back of the car or as close as you can get it to there.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

the mufflex sounds good. Very deep and no rasp!!
I have pacesetter LT's, mufflex ORY, and mufflex 4" catback with a spintech muffler.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

I have wanted a Mufflex system for so long... I guess I'll end up going that route eventually. I hear they weigh about 3 tons though, and that the Flowmaster muffler is the way to go. Actually, I hear the MagnaFlow muffler is the way to go. I called Mufflex once before and asked them if they sold their kits without mufflers. All I really need is the over axle part, and the tail pipe assembly. They wouldnt budge. Maybe if I tell them that I've already got the system and I am looking to replace parts of it they'll sell it to me. I dunno. An exhaust shop once told me that i would have more in a new mufflex vs one they could fab up for me. Anyone got a good used system?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1W66
my car is hella quieter in the car going down the highway from when i had it ran on the back.

The setup long tube header, TSP 3" ory with 3" magnaflow bullet hooked up to slp loud month ran out the back and traveling it would give you a head ache. It is way better then just the LM. So i cut everything off behind the magnaflow and added a turn down pointed to right rear tire and its way way way quieter in the car traveling and 100% no rasp. Louder at WOT and at idle but not going down the hwy
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy97
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdh2bBwJTys

Hey check out that video, it's a 4 inch magnaflow diesel muffler dumped behind the axle.
User TJ car he has a 3" y-pipe with 4" mufflex with a 4" dynomax in the i-pipe and a 4" diesel muffler in stock location dumped.

from a week ago
http://members.streetfire.net/video/...MPH_728116.htm

and others i have taken
http://user.streetfire.net/video/TJs...ile_720863.htm
http://user.streetfire.net/video/Tjs...ile_703085.htm
http://user.streetfire.net/video/Sta...-on_693991.htm
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

vibrant performance has a 5 or 9 inch long muffler, 3, 3.5, 4 inch wide.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
8 Second Club

IM runnin a custom Mufflex Ypipe with a 4in merge into a dynatech race muffler before the rear. I also made them make me a 12in straight pipe to bolt up so i can change it out when i like.

Quick Reply: Custom 4" Exhaust with Dynatech Muffler