Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in Hooker and Qtp

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in Hooker and Qtp

What is the difference between Qtp's headers and Hooker's? Why does QTP's cost so much more? I know they're stainless steel but is that what makes them more expensive or do they make more power?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

One is stainless steel and another is cheap metals.
One is made in the USA, one is made in Mexico or something.
Then on top of that profits that a business wants to make.

And yes QTP supposedly makes more power.

IMHO I think QTPs are 100% worth it, I have them and I am very satisfied
Old 10-28-2003, 12:56 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not only does the stainless steel tubing cost more than mild steel, it is more expensive to work with also. The stainless steel tubing is harder, making it more difficult to bend and form. Also more difficult to weld. It costs 1.5 to 2 times more to make any part of an exhaust system out of stainless steel, but at least it never rusts out.

I'm very happy with my QTP headers also. I haven't tuned yet, so no results on power, but the fitment was outstanding.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cal
Not only does the stainless steel tubing cost more than mild steel, it is more expensive to work with also. The stainless steel tubing is harder, making it more difficult to bend and form. Also more difficult to weld. It costs 1.5 to 2 times more to make any part of an exhaust system out of stainless steel, but at least it never rusts out.

I'm very happy with my QTP headers also. I haven't tuned yet, so no results on power, but the fitment was outstanding.
I agree with everything above, especially the part about not having to worry about it rusting
Old 10-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

QTP uses 304 stainless, so you shouldn't be getting any rust, just discoloration. The other alloy that is sometimes used is 409, with that you get some very light surface rust.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is PPC LT's stainless steel or mild steel? Also what do you guys think about the PPC LT's? Thinkin about gettin them early next year with a jet hot catted ypipe or a custom catted ypipe.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

PPC headers and y-pipe are mild steel. The y-pipe is aluminized pipe (before it's coated).

Also note that you can not especially mix & match y-pipes from one header to the next due to the header designs being different and the collectors not being in the same place, unless you can confirm that the collectors do sit in the same position as the brand that is offering the y-pipe you are looking at.

PPC, Thunder and QTP should interchange.... don't know about the others.

Thanks,
Gordon
www.provenperformanceconcepts.com

Last edited by M3EATER; 12-11-2003 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

In design they are almost the same header, and on an internally stock engine I doubt you would be able to see any measureable gains going from one to the other. Stainless Steel is nice if you drive your car in salt, live by the coast, or plan on keeping your car forever. If you don't drive the car in real nasty weather and don't think you'll have it in another 10 years, save some money and get the Hookers. The Hookers will rust but they will perform just the same as the QTP's if your in it for bang for the buck like I was.