Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gmmg folk- how's fit/finish? Happy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gmmg folk- how's fit/finish? Happy?

I was torn between the sound of the gmmg and the magnaflow - finally decided on the cheaper one ( the magnaflow ) and I'm strongly regretting it after only two weeks. How's the fit and finish on the gmmg? Sound after break in?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I love my GMMG. It sounds great. You should have saved and got the gmmg
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Fit and finish is generally excellent. Some of us have had to heat and bend the one of the tailpipe tubes to get them to line up straight - there was a thread about this some time ago.

IMO, GMMG is the premier catback for stock manifolds/cats. The sound just can't be beat. With LT's, it's a different story - which is why I'm running a different setup now.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I'm hoping to mix it with longtubes, but with a catted y. I bought the magna because I loved the sound, but the thing has been nothing but a mess since I got it on, and I'm tired of messing with it - I wanted good quality, and have been very disappointed.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Well, you won't be disappointed with GMMG quality. I think it took us about a half hour to get installed.

We did it at a shop with a lift ... but that time includes us sawing off and removing the old catback, heating and bending the one tailpipe, putting on the tips, etc. Fitment was great, sound quality was superb, and there was a noticeable performance increase compared to the junk that was on before.

But I have to say ... you're the first one I can remember complaining about the fitment of a Magnaflow catback. Most guys are extremely pleased with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you saw my GMMG thread. Fits perfect. Like REVGTO said the drivers side tail pipe is angled downwards. But i got it to work

Would not trade my GMMG for anyting
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

My Magnaflow fits extremely poorly. We spent 4 hours on the install, and over one full hour just trying to get it to line up.

As it is now, the closest we could get has the passenger side tip almost 3.5" farther back than the driver side (it's almost UNDER the bumper cover), and they're both aimed at an angle towards the passenger side.

In addition, the entire system vibrates at idle, and buzzes extremely loud against the car - it literally sounds like the muffler is slamming against the bottom of the car. I've re-done all the joints 3-4 times, and we can't get it to fit any better or stop vibrating, so I'm simply done trying. It's not worth fighting anymore.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Well you saw my GMMG thread. Fits perfect. Like REVGTO said the drivers side tail pipe is angled downwards. But i got it to work

Would not trade my GMMG for anyting
I love the fitment, but I wonder about hte sound with a catted y, without the bullet muffler (although I guess I could get one in there too).
Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Pontiacerator

If search is working worth a damn, you can go back and find TORCHD and me talking about GMMG sound through many threads. Although he is ORY and I have a catted Y, I strongly believe that the bullet (powerstick, powerpack) in the I is necessary to calm the rasp in a GMMG/LT setup.

But if I were you, I'd talk to somebody at Magnaflow (Oxidizir {?sp.}) posts on here ... or your vendor to get some satisfaction. Like you say, that'd be some expensive target practice. I recommend Coors Light cans for that ...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RevGTO
If search is working worth a damn, you can go back and find TORCHD and me talking about GMMG sound through many threads. Although he is ORY and I have a catted Y, I strongly believe that the bullet (powerstick, powerpack) in the I is necessary to calm the rasp in a GMMG/LT setup.

But if I were you, I'd talk to somebody at Magnaflow (Oxidizir {?sp.}) posts on here ... or your vendor to get some satisfaction. Like you say, that'd be some expensive target practice. I recommend Coors Light cans for that ...
Heres the thread. Start it on pg 3. There are some clips of GMMG with the LTs, then the guy posted a clip same set up with a Powerpack

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...1355-gmmg.html

EDIT: the vids that i am talking about are on pg 2, post #40
Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

GMMG and Kooks LTs here, no fitment issues, or rasp. (catted y) I love the sound, but now that I just moved to california, might have to lose the LTs
Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArcticFormula
GMMG and Kooks LTs here, no fitment issues, or rasp. (catted y) I love the sound, but now that I just moved to california, might have to lose the LTs
that would suck
Old 04-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

GMMG and Kooks LTs here, no fitment issues, or rasp. (catted y) ...
Same setup and I'm very happy with the fit and the sound.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Pontiacerator

Well, as a California native, there are some good things about it - i.e., the land of California. Other than that ... too many people, communism, Nancy Pelosi, etc.

But if possible, keep your car registered wherever you are from. CA cops are fairly vigilant about that but ... whatever car I have back at home will have Kansas plates on it (just visiting, officer!).
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i really like the sound of a GMMG with LTS and an ORY. i think its a refined rasp (if thats possible) id be interested in hearing a catted y setup
Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt gmmg on a big back order currently?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think they always are on at least a 2 week back order. ive heard a month back order currently
Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
i think they always are on at least a 2 week back order. ive heard a month back order currently
Woo open headers!

Originally Posted by RevGTO

Seriously - what exactly am I supposed to say to them? I've always thought that performance parts were pretty much "Good luck, if it doesn't work, you're SOL" unless it was obviously massively defective or missing something. This came with all the parts, it just fits extremely poorly, and resonates against the car at idle. I wouldn't know what to say to them.

And coors light cans require us to... well, drink coors light :p And they shatter a bit too much
Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

I pmed oxi, we'll see if he has any tips before I yank the magna off.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Isnt gmmg on a big back order currently?
Yes 3 weeks out. They also plan to get 30 systems in and already have 25 orders. So if your gonna order do it fast!

I went with true duals cause I couldn't wait, if I don't like them I will sell them and wait for the GMMG I guess.

Quick Reply: Gmmg folk- how's fit/finish? Happy?