Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade LS6 EGR

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Homemade LS6 EGR

Would it be a good idea (or safe) to buy a LS6 intake, that someone MADE a hole in it for EGR? Could anyone foresee any problems that might occur down the road, etc..
Old 04-21-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

No one knows anything about this?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Are you sure they made it? Or could it be an SLP LS6 that came with the EGR?

If they made it, it would depend on the craftsmanship and the care they took in making it. If they did a good job and took the time to carefully cut the opening and it is the correct size, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I don't know that I would buy it over the internet without some very detailed pictures.

When I install my headers I am eliminating the EGR so for a while my LS1 intake is going to have a rubber stopper plugging it. That's always an option as long as the hole is the correct size. A friend ran a rubber plug in his SLP LS6 intake because he got it cheap and didn't have EGR. It ran like any other LS6.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well if if the hole is in the stock EGR location at least, it shouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the manifold.

The only problem I see would be with vacuum leaks, depending on how the hole is sealed up.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

You're in Lousiana? Do SMOG laws there require you to have EGR to pass a visual inspection?? If not, I'd say buy a regular LS6 Intake and do an EGR delete!

as far as home-made EGR on ls6 mani's... I'm a little paranoid personally, so I'd just suck it up and spend the extra $$$ for the SLP intake.. that's what I'm planning on doing. Or if you have a Tuner in your area that'll do it for you, that might be a cheaper option.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've already removed the EGR from my car. Reason I'm asking is, I think the guy im about to buy an LS6 intake from, made a hole himself for the EGR. I'll just put a freezer plug in it, like I currently have on my LS1 intake..

Reason I'm asking is, the price is right for this intake, just didn't know if I should be afraid if the previous owner drilled a hole in it himself for the EGR. I'll be sure to get some pics of it and take a close look at it.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as it was sealed up right, there shouldnt be ay problems. idk if i would buy it though, especially if the guy hacked it up to make it work.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd buy it. You can always epoxy the hole shut. I have a slp egr modded intake. When I ditched my egr, I epoxied the hole shut.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are tallking about SScammed? Ive seen the intake in person and the hole isnt too bad. Theres a block off plate you can get from the dealer too.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, it would be the one from SScammed. I always look through previous post before I buy stuff, its saved my *** before on TCs and stuff. Didn't know if I should be concerned on this one or not. Thanks for the input. Makes me feel a lot better about it.