Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header emission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header emission question

I live in california and I want to put some headers on my camaro pretty soon. I know LTs are out of question because of emissions - what about the mac midlength headers? ive read numerous conflicting answers on this, some say I will pass emissions with the Mac headers, others say I won't. Are there any other alternatives?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the smog regulations in your area? I live in Nevada and have to smog my car every year. But they don't care if I have long tubes as long as I have Cats somewhere. My brother lives in California, but in his county, you only have to smog your car once, when you buy it. So he got it smogged, and is now gonna put long tubes. He's never gonna have to smog it again cause he's never selling it.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

will they honestly know if they cats have been moved? like if i get a custom Y fabbd with a cat will they even be able to tell the difference? i have to get my car smogged every other year in my area
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

During the visual, the technician looks very carefully under the hood and under the car from both sides... he knows his stuff, he has been trained (using our state tax money)... he will immediately spot headers (which will fail the visual).

The only CA smog legal headers are shorties with a CARB EO # on them.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

thank you for clearing that up

i guess i have to find a special smog station then