Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird engine/electrical issue please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird engine/electrical issue please help!!

ok guys prolly in the wrong section but falls in this section also i think. i got a buddy with a 2000 ss a4 with about 80k just has LT's and thats it and been on for a yr or so. so heres the issue it has a new batt and alternator maybe 2-3 months old tops. when we start her up the voltage stays in the red at 8 and check gauges light stays on then a min or two later the abs and inop light comes on. then if you try to turn on the radio or pretty much any thing like the defroster the dash just stops working as if the car is off also the radio turns off. then if you try to step on the gas it wont let you rev it up, she just bogs right away but if you step on it lightly it will go up. then after that happens it starts chopping like it has a untuned ms4 lol. all fuses in car and under hood are good and connections are tight. please help me thank you

john
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the alt and have it tested at a competent shop. Batt is not likely the problem given it's holding enough of a charge to crank the engine.

Advance Auto and AutoZone are hit 'n miss, some of them have sharp guys who can work the test bench and some have goobers likely to hurt themselves trying.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

very true some arent the brightest. its crazy since its a new alt
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 408Maro
very true some arent the brightest. its crazy since its a new alt
Electrical components die either immediately, or years down the road.

If the alt was only a few months or years old I wouldn't even suspect it...but since it's new it's a possible culprit.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

True. Thanks