Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain oil for header install??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drain oil for header install??

I'm about to install my headers. I know you have to pull the dipstick and tube. Will the oil drain out if I do that? I just changed my oil last week. Will I have to drain the oil before the header install? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

no the oil won't drain when you pull the dipstick tube out. for my hooker's i did have to unbolt the little oil diverter/blockoff plate thing located just above the oil fitler, but i only lost about 1/4 quart of oil through there
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did not drain the oil, did not have a mess either.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, no oil will drain, oil level is not that high up the pan.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Becareful when reinstalling the oil dipstick tube making sure not to force or bend the bracket that attaches to the head as you force the tube back into the block. If you bend it - it can throw off the reading on your dispstick making it look like the oil level is low when in fact it is not.

So - check the oil before taking off the headers and then check it again after the install. If the reading is the same you are OK, if not then the tube is not completely pressed into the hole in the block or the bracket is bent a bit.

If the tube is completely pressed into the hole in the block and the bolt screws into the head with the bracket aligned you are good to go.

My installer had forced the bolt when attaching the bracket bending the bracket leaving the tube almost out of the hole in the block giving a reading of nearly 1 qt low.

Plus if the tube isn't forced in all the way into the hole - oil will be forced out of the hole causing a mess on the side of the block and pan.

There is an o-ring on the tube. Make sure it is still on the tube when reinstalling the oil dipstick tube.

hth
Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. Now I can go out to the car and start my header install. Should be a blast. Thanks for the great info.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default lpp headers

hi all any one have lpp stainless headers,i'm thinking of getting a set any replies would be appreciated thanks billyb.