Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I have an exhaust leak....got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I have an exhaust leak....got a few questions

ATM I can't just run out and buy a set of pacesetters and be done with it, so that's out of the question for now.

Here is the deal, I obviously have an exhaust leak around the exhaust manifold and y-pipe connection and it sounds like ****. I haven't gotten under the car to see if it is a hole in the exhaust or not. I really don't feel like crawling under the car so I am just gonna take the car up to an exhaust shop and put it on the lift here pretty soon.

I have been running an open cutout for awhile in the I-pipe under the passenger rear seat area. I was debating about changing up my exhaust on the cheap. If I ditch the cats, I'll need to run O2 sims apparently based on my search but will that cause my car to run rich?

The setups I've been thinking about:

Keep or Delete the cats and put a bullet in the I-pipe before the cutout

Keep or Delete the cats and replace the cutout for a bullet and remove the exhaust over the axle

Possibly fab up some ghetto duals (w/ current manifolds)

Replace stock muffler with Magnaflow/Hooker/(other) muffler and cap cutout for awhile

Anybody have an experience running anything I just suggested? The car is still my DD but my cutout has been sounding pretty quiet to me for awhile. This gives me a chance to justify spending some $ on the exhaust (to the woman) without going full out LT's/TSP duals ($800+).

Last edited by Dyosis; 04-28-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added another possible setup
Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Did some more searching and if I replace the cats with strait pipe, I don't need O2 Sims. Still wondering if the car will run richer without the back 2 Oxygen sensors though.

What would sound better:

No cats to a bullet or the cutout or both?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

replacing the cats with a straight pipe won't delete the O2 sensors. you will still need sims or get them tuned out.

if you don't mind smelling like gas all the time, go ahead and delete the cats.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

I had an exhaust leak that sounded under the car but it was the hose from the egr
where it wrapped around the back.
just in case.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
replacing the cats with a straight pipe won't delete the O2 sensors. you will still need sims or get them tuned out.

if you don't mind smelling like gas all the time, go ahead and delete the cats.
I was under the impression that we had O2 sensors before and after the cats. I was only saying the O2 sensors AFTER the cats would either need sims or could be deleted (based on my search). I could be wrong though because the only reasons I've been under the car to date was for changing oil/fuel filter/tranny fluid. Never really paid attention to the O2 sensors.

I deleted my Egr and Air years ago and the leak started recently, but ty for the reply. Still have the SES light from that since I haven't had them tuned out.

About the gas smell, your saying the exhaust will make the inside of the car smell like gas (because of the cutout)?