Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 cooling?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 cooling?

I have a '93 s-10 with a '98 camaro LS1 and I'm running an '80s corvette radiator and generic over flow tank. I've been told that the GM orange coolant does not react well with air and it tends to oxidize and leave a muddy looking substance in your rad/engine. So does this mean that the radiator and coolant overflow/reservoir are sealed?

My other question is if I'm running an unsealed overflow/reservoir can regular (prestone) green coolant be used in the LS1 as opposed to the orange GM recommended?

Any input is greatly appreciated, I've been thinking about this for weeks and figured it was finally time to ask
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Launching!

you can use the green if you like but you CAN NOT mix the two together, rumor had it that dex-cool the orange would eat the gaskets out and cause air leaks but i dont know how many people with LS1's have had that problem, i have not. if you choose to do the green prestone you must flush the system before putting it in.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Teching In

I heard that as well. I didn't think the green was bad for the lsx's just wanted to double check. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using green in my LS1 swap since 2004 with zero issues.

Use the Low Silicate kind, not regular grade. Read the label and check for that wording, I use Zerex pre-mix and it specifies Low Silicate concentration.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ....asp?product=8

Last edited by crainholio; 04-30-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I have a 1998 Z28 - it's over 10 years old with me as a second owner since it was 6 months old.

I have used DexCool in it since day one, but I change it frequently at a cost of less $30 (2 gals). IMO if you change it frequently you will encounter none of the problems attributed to DexCool.

We pay $6 bucks a quart for oil and change it as frequently as 2000 miles but complain if we pop the radiator cap, see sludge, and then admit we haven't changed the coolant ever. Go figure.

Maintain every system on your car and it will last a long time.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 05-01-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I have a 1998 Z28 - it's over 10 years old with me as a second owner when it was 6 months old.

I have used DexCool in it since day one, but I change it frequently at a cost of less $30 (2 gals). IMO if you change it frequently you will encounter none of the problems attributed to DexCool.
I think you may have missed some of his detail, but it's a swap vehicle and doesn't appear to have a sealed coolant recovery system like your '98 does.

Based both on documented evidence as well as experience, he very much *will* have the specific problem attributed to DexCool...the stuff doesn't like being exposed to ambient air as a vented coolant recovery system will do.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
I think you may have missed some of his detail, but it's a swap vehicle and doesn't appear to have a sealed coolant recovery system like your '98 does.

Based both on documented evidence as well as experience, he very much *will* have the specific problem attributed to DexCool...the stuff doesn't like being exposed to ambient air as a vented coolant recovery system will do.
Exactly but thanks for the input dland. I've only had the motor running for about 2 months and I can already see some muddy stuff appearing in the overflow. With a flush and green coolant it should be ok tho.

Thanks for all the responses guys.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

You are right - I missed that part. Should have read your first post closer.

With your system if it were me and since you are going to have to backflush the system of DexCool I would make the switch to Evans (2 gals around $60) and then be done with maintenance forever. It's characteristics would be perfect for your system.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=42

I am told the coolant at John Deere Dealers is the same as Evans and possibly cheaper.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 05-01-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

is that rad effiecient enough for the motor you have, because i wouldnt think so myself. Maybe im wrong though
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crainholio

LOL, unless his vehicle is different from mine and all other LS1 F bodies he doesn't have a sealed coolant recovery system either. That always confuses me about the F bodies. Dex cool plus open recovery tank...great idea.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by plaf713
is that rad effiecient enough for the motor you have, because i wouldnt think so myself. Maybe im wrong though
cruising on the highway around 65 its about 185-190 and sitting at a light with the fans on its about 200-210.

its seems to be working just fine, if i could fit a bigger one i would definitely consider swapping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 cooling?