Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car doesnt seem Faster with New Longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car doesnt seem Faster with New Longtubes

i just installed Pacesetter LT's and O/r Y deleted the EGR and also installed the Eibach Prokit and the car doesnt seem like its running like it used to and just doesnt seem like it has any more power... could this be due to the fact that i Deleted the Egr and have not got a Tune yet ?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I first got my LT's installed, I noticed it pulled alot harder on the expressway when I'd run it in 4th.

Also, since this was before the tune, I found that the car pulled harder at 90% throttle or so, than it did at full throttle. I would guess that this was because it was still in closed loop so the computer was at least attempting to make some adjustments for the longtubes.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
When I first got my LT's installed, I noticed it pulled alot harder on the expressway when I'd run it in 4th.

Also, since this was before the tune, I found that the car pulled harder at 90% throttle or so, than it did at full throttle. I would guess that this was because it was still in closed loop so the computer was at least attempting to make some adjustments for the longtubes.
that makes sense ive noticed before i did the LT's i couldnt hook for **** and now that theyre installed im spinning but not near as bad.. i havent taken it on the highway yet but to be honest im a little disappointed with the results
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, I just installed my headers and ory. I got race headers so I deleted my A.I.R. After I installed them I did notice that it felt a little doggy, but like previously stated when I got on the highway 3rd and 4th pulled alot harder than before. I just sent my PCM over to Steve @ tunedbyfrost.com. I heard they do really good mail order tuning. So when I get that back I'll see the difference.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Longtubes will typically make you run rich without a tune...I've heard.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

sometimes the LTs will change the power curve a little bit.

making it feel like you didn't gain, or sometimes lost power in lower rpms.

the EGR will have no affect on the running condition of the engine. the SES it trips is strictly a dummy light.

its POSSIBLE you have a leak someplace and its affecting your a/f, causing less than anticipated gains.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

You computer needs time to learn of the new flow, its going to take a while... you dont really need a tune, the car will be faster even without one (not to say it wouldn't benefit from a tune). Also most of the power difference is up top... try a few highway pulls... it should feel good.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

pull the battery cables....reset the aquired LTFT data.

start from scratch. might help.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by teke184
pull the battery cables....reset the aquired ltft data.

Start from scratch. Might help.
x2.....
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen on my 97. It took the computer about 5 or 6 good drives before I noticed it was starting to "learn" the new hardware. Any difference in idle speed? Mine was over 1k for those 5 or 6 drive cycles then it returned to normal. +1 on give it time to learn.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
I had the same thing happen on my 97. It took the computer about 5 or 6 good drives before I noticed it was starting to "learn" the new hardware. Any difference in idle speed? Mine was over 1k for those 5 or 6 drive cycles then it returned to normal. +1 on give it time to learn.
no the idle speed is fine..
Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by teke184
pull the battery cables....reset the aquired LTFT data.

start from scratch. might help.
ill try that ! thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ECM needs time to re-learn the new improved exhaust flow and the different A/F ratio. Give it a few days or a week and I bet it'll figure it out.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

You need a tune to get maximum power out of the longtubes, but you should really feel quite a difference even without a tune. So do what the other guy's suggested. I know when i installed mine, i felt it right off the start but then again. I really didnt take it out for a spirited ride for a week. So maybe throughout the week, the car got used to it but im without a tune at the moment and i really feel the power throughout all ranges. 40's very weak for A4 car's, now it pulls just a bit better which is noticeable but still sucks. From a 30 roll, it sits my *** in the seat alot more lol 65 roll, you feel it pull hard. It really kicks in....

You will run a lil rich without the tune. Just check everything out, maybe you gotta leak or something causing the car to run bad or just needs the time for the ECM to figure things out.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

IDK, I pulled my AIR Pump and EGR and now my cruise doesn't work. Been without it for a couple months now.

So it makes me wonder if the EGR is tied into other systems on the car or not??
Old 05-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
The ECM needs time to re-learn the new improved exhaust flow and the different A/F ratio. Give it a few days or a week and I bet it'll figure it out.
so do i need to disconnect the Battery or just leave it alone ?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Launching!

you dont have to, you can either unplug it so it starts fresh, or wait till it relearns all the new ****
Old 05-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

I really noticed little difference when i installed my headers (1-7/8 ARH race headers with cats on a stock 346). Almost felt a little sluggish (may have just been because it was louder, but didn't seem faster) felt a little stronger up top, but nothing down low. I didn't wait for the computer to relearn and got a tune the next week.

Never had it dynoed before so I don't know the overall gains of pre-header vs header. But just the tune did alot after the header install.

The tune brought the peak up 35rwhp and 30rwtq.

At 2500 rpm everything shifted up, my rwhp was up 35 and rwtq was up 55.

The tune really woke things up....day and night difference.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the new stuff bang against the car? If it does it will pull timing. LT do not give great gains till u add a cam. Do you have a lid? They all add together. It does not take long at all to learn new mods by the way. Make sure you do not have a leak.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Does the new stuff bang against the car? If it does it will pull timing. LT do not give great gains till u add a cam. Do you have a lid? They all add together. It does not take long at all to learn new mods by the way. Make sure you do not have a leak.
i think maybe the Y pipe might be hitting the bottom of the car just when im taking off from lights but it doesnt seem very bad.. i dont have a Lid , i only drove the car maybe 10 miles from work to home and thats it