Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Balancer? Slight Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Balancer? Slight Wobble?

I bought a new stock fbody balancer(dorman). Installed it while it was out of the car with a balancer installer. Im running a kwik performance sanden compressor bracket that mounts the ac comp up on the passenger side.

The belt kept wanting to ride off the front rib of the compressor when I would rev the engine past like 4k. I thought it had something to do with the brackets from kwik, but as I was studying the belt while the car was running I noticed the balancer had a "wobble" to it. I put the dial indicator on it and its almost 30 thousanths off! The inside is true. but the belt hub that is pressed over the rubber is what is wobbling. Any repairs or just buy new?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

dont think you could repair it, i would buy a new one or see if you can find one someone has laying around for cheap.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my stocker laying around. No idea what it's worth. PM me an offer if you want it.... I can send you some pics....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Anyone ever used the pioneer balancer? They are like 100 bucks. I dont want an underdrive. Stock is fine with me. Thought about the powerbond as well. Something better than this dorman POS replacement I just bought
Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Default POWERFORCE+PLUS SFI approved racing damper #90032

Sorry, to say but your problem may be related to the install or the quality of the Dorman damper. I have installed and removed more than my fair share.
You should compare the offset height of both you have and see.
You should seriosly consider the POWERFORCE+PLUS SFI approved racing harmonic damper part# 90032 for all F-body LS1.
This damper is made of 1045 steel and has a elastomer material which is rated to support up to 8,000rpms
Let me know if you are interested, i can hook you up or trade for ????
Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i have seen in my cars all the balancers seem to wobble.But if its throwing the belt i would get another one.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Launching!

It was .028 out. Not even .030. Thats not even 1/32 out. I dont feel any vibration through the shifter. The motor doesnt shake any either. The pulley section could wobble slightly giving the illusion that the balancer is wobbling, but the whole assembly could be balanced, which is essentially what really matters. Am I right? If it was a true wobble I would think the belt would want to walk both ways and not just off the front. I drove the car for 800 miles with a belt that was too loose. Beat on the car pretty good and the belt never tried to come off. The loose belt was squeeling though so I decided to swap it out for a belt a 1/2" shorter. The problem really started when I put the tighter belt on, that put the tensioner in the correct min/max range. It only wants to pop off when I rev it up high. Could it be a bad tensioner? It is a brand new dayco unit.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you ever find a solution to this? My pulley looks okay but the belt wants to walk off the front of my compressor as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

wondering if balancer wobble is normal? hit a tree at 50 km'hr broke the lip of the ballancer, pulled the ballacner off, and put a dial indicator on the snout, only out .001" seems fine, installed used ballancer from the wrecker. Seems to look like it wobbles, lookin striaght down at it, and watching the boltit definately wobbles is this how they are never paid attention to it before? Makes sense that the bolt is not centered at 240 ftl/bs I can see that the bolt would move off center?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94camaroz28lt1
wondering if balancer wobble is normal? hit a tree at 50 km'hr broke the lip of the ballancer, pulled the ballacner off, and put a dial indicator on the snout, only out .001" seems fine, installed used ballancer from the wrecker. Seems to look like it wobbles, lookin striaght down at it, and watching the boltit definately wobbles is this how they are never paid attention to it before? Makes sense that the bolt is not centered at 240 ftl/bs I can see that the bolt would move off center?
.001" runout on the crank snout is within spec. the balancer is not supposed to wobble
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
.001" runout on the crank snout is within spec. the balancer is not supposed to wobble
2010 Camaro crank pulley wobble - YouTube

looks like this suposeadly it is ok?

acording to this

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62558
Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Side to side is normal, all rubber insulated dampers do that. Its front/rear runout thats unacceptable. Most serp belts can handle about .020" before they start to chew up. Edges fraying is your first clue that a pulley isnt lined up/wobbly
Old 12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket
Side to side is normal, all rubber insulated dampers do that. Its front/rear runout thats unacceptable. Most serp belts can handle about .020" before they start to chew up. Edges fraying is your first clue that a pulley isnt lined up/wobbly
Thanks, should be good to go!!

One moe questsion while I got you on the line. The tensioner has three marks.. lets call the one on the left (standig facing the front of the motor ) Mark 1, the middel one mark 2, and the right one mark 3.

I put a cutom pulley setup on and had to measure the belt length. the first belt, put the tensioner on mark 3, and seemed to tight? The next belt, the had in stock was two sizes longer, it put it at mark 1, is this too loose? I would guess belt is suposed to run in the middle mark 2??
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Ideal is halfway between the two stops of the tensioner swing. You wont always be able to be dead on for all cases. Remember, belts stretch as they get used and age so push it a little to the too small side if you have to pick the lesser of two evils. If the belt is too long and the tensioner hits the fully open stop, the belt will fly off
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket
Ideal is halfway between the two stops of the tensioner swing. You wont always be able to be dead on for all cases. Remember, belts stretch as they get used and age so push it a little to the too small side if you have to pick the lesser of two evils. If the belt is too long and the tensioner hits the fully open stop, the belt will fly off
OK thats good to know.

Quick Reply: Bad Balancer? Slight Wobble?