Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting Air Con, require block off plate.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Deleting Air Con, require block off plate.

I've been thinking of getting rid of the air con. I haven't used it in well over a year, since I changed the heads and cam in Aug 2007, the gas hasn't been recharged.
So it could save a bit of weight, I'll just take it off, and all pipes, and the radiator.
I've seen a plate somewhere, but cant find where. It blocks of the holes from the engine bay to inside the car. I must have seen in on this forum as i don't visit any others. Has anyone else seen where I can get this plate? I think it was anodized with a Trans-am symbol on it.
When I saw it i was thinking that will be useful when I get rid of the air-con but didn't make a note of where it was, it must have been 2-3 months ago.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMR sells a block off plate. Not sure about the emblem and anodizing, though.
JC
Old 05-12-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
BMR sells a block off plate. Not sure about the emblem and anodizing, though.
JC
Thanks for that. I knew I'd seen them on my travels just couldn't remember where.
Thanks again, that's ace.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speed inc also has one.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

I made my own for like $5
Old 05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
I made my own for like $5
Darn it, I've just spent $120 including shipping, will have import tax too when it arrives.

As you've removed your air con, I've got a question. This plate is quite large, and it looks like the entier black box next to the PCM needs to be removed. However, removing this, will the heaters/blowers still function?
Old 05-16-2009, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

If I'm not mistaken the one that BMR sells mounts on the inside behind the dash. If it is then you will have to remove the entire HVAC system, including the heat. I could be wrong though. The one I made mounts to the outside half of the firewall and I retained my heater. The box you are talking about houses the AC stuff.

Here is a pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails Deleting Air Con, require block off plate.-343.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
If I'm not mistaken the one that BMR sells mounts on the inside behind the dash. If it is then you will have to remove the entire HVAC system, including the heat. I could be wrong though. The one I made mounts to the outside half of the firewall and I retained my heater. The box you are talking about houses the AC stuff.

Here is a pic of mine
Thanks for the photo that helps. I may need to modify the BMR one to go around the 2 heater hoses. I'll be there with my Dremel in hand.
How did you removed the AC box, did you cut round it? it looks like it comes out if i remove the dash, and take the box through into the car. What in the box? I guess there is a radiator like thing for the air-con. Do you happen to have a photo before you put your plate on?

I've got the workshop manual for the car, it show the pump, radiator, expansion bottle, but nothing about inside the box, well not in enough detail.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

I took it out with a 3lb sledge hammer. then cleaned it all up around the edges. It will come out through the inside of the car but then you will be removing all of the HVAC stuff. If you don't mind loosing the heat then yes I would take it all out. The only pic I have of it before is below. The camera I had at the time was on its last leg so forgive the crappiness.
Attached Thumbnails Deleting Air Con, require block off plate.-244.jpg