Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmmg / sweet thunder

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question gmmg / sweet thunder

Does anyone know if sweet thunder mufflers welded up like the gmmg system will sound like gmmg. I herd it for the first time today and love it. I just don't think it is worth $700. But on the other hand I really want that sound.
So what do you think? Any other suggestion for that kind of sound on a stock ls1.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been a controversial topic in the past. I have the GMMG system. It's sound is sort of unique. I have never heard a pseudo-GMMG system made from the Sweet Thunder mufflers, but I'm sure it will be similar. However, I don't think that you can exactly duplicate the GMMG system...
Old 11-03-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

You may or may not be able to duplicate the sound, however I gurantee you won't be able to duplicate the performance with a "homemade" GMMG. They didn't just slap together some system - there were numerous refinements to the system and believe it or not some R&D went into it.

Now, what I would try is a true dual exhaust with some chambered sections. That could be interesting.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinking about getting the sweet thunder chambered tubes for my 3" duals im about to make
but the 3" tubes use the 2.5" inner diameter tubes as on their 2.5" tubes
whats the damn point in that? I dont know why they even make a 3" inlet/outlet if it uses a 2.5" inner
I might as well keep the 2.5" duals already on the car :p

I have searched and searched, but havent yet found a real I.D. chambered tube of 3"
Old 11-03-2003, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Classic
Now, what I would try is a true dual exhaust with some chambered sections. That could be interesting.
Hey! Stop spreadin my idea around! :p I wanna be the first... and with my cash flow, that might be awhile.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:07 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
Hey! Stop spreadin my idea around! :p I wanna be the first... and with my cash flow, that might be awhile.

You were'nt the first. I did it last year

And I know I wasn't the first either. But it sounded nothing like a GMMG system.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
i was thinking about getting the sweet thunder chambered tubes for my 3" duals im about to make
but the 3" tubes use the 2.5" inner diameter tubes as on their 2.5" tubes
whats the damn point in that? I dont know why they even make a 3" inlet/outlet if it uses a 2.5" inner
I might as well keep the 2.5" duals already on the car :p

I have searched and searched, but havent yet found a real I.D. chambered tube of 3"
Yep, that's the problem with sweet thunder, only 2.5" cores available. If they made some big ones, I would have used them. As it is, I'm really happy with my Borla XR1.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I definitely think the sound and performance are worth the $700. Its a gain all the way around, plus a very unique sound. Sets your ride apart.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

I've always had the idea of LT headers, X-pipe, and duel chambered sections. I think this would sound wicked!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duals are great if you don't mind ending the exhaust before the axle. Getting over that axle with two pipes is possible but a real pain.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

True dat cuh, True dat. It is also very very pricey too.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

anyone have a sound clip, i have never heard it
Old 11-03-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

there have been many people that have done the X-pipe / chambered straight-through thing, but i dont get a response from them regarding how it sounds vs. gmmg. this thread was the first time i read a comparison, but it wasnt too detailed.. "sounded nothing like GMMG".. but was it not as good? better? more/less rumble/roar/rasp?

i think something to consider is generally, the GMMG system is also ran with cats, where xpipe guys dont use them. it is often said the GMMG sounds like total CRAP when used without cats. who knows what a chambered x pipe system would sound like with cats.

what i would like to know, is has someone made a chambered true dual system that sounds better then the GMMG? it sounds entirely possible being that they can use longer chambers and thicker material which would change the sound more. for better or for worse, who knows
Old 11-04-2003, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I have a homemade GMMG with Sweet Thunder SS mufflers.
Let me first say I've heard a GMMG on a car with Hooker LT's, ORY-pipe, with the huge tips, it was a WS6.
I have Hooker LT's, ORY-pipe, bullet in the I-pipe and Loudmouth that I fabbed up to look like a GMMG with Sweet Thunder mufflers.

My car sounds almost like the GMMG I heard, but a little less loud and raspy. That's probably due to the 18" bullet I have though. The truth is I doubt there's any performance difference between my homemade version and the GMMG. Chambered mufflers aren't really that complicated to have to "tune" besides the lengths, which the regular Sweet Thunders are almost exactly the same length if not the same as the ones used in the GMMG.
I paid $220 for my LM, then about $300 for the bends, mufflers, and install.
If I could do it over I'd go true duals because they are cheap and sound better than any system on an LS1 I've ever heard.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Time2Kill

And I know I wasn't the first either. But it sounded nothing like a GMMG system.
DAMN! Did it sound good even if it didn't sound like a GMMG?

You'll prolly have a PM in a few...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Time2Kill

how did it sound?
Old 11-04-2003, 02:28 PM
MASS seller approved

Sorry for my review, or lack thereof, of the dual chambered exhaust. I was in a hurry when I replied to the message.

Anyways, I had Hooker LTs into 2.5" pipe to a 2.5' x-pipe from Dr. Gas into the 2.5" sweet thunder mufflers dumped at the axle. I have never heard anything sound even close to that setup on a F-Body. But my true dual system was all squash bends and it sounded like ****. The tone of the chambered mufflers was deep, but on the mellow side. It was more towards the sound of a Ferrari than a "deep" rumble of a muscle car. They were fairly loud, but definately not as loud as the bullets were. Idle was louder than stock, but not by a lot. Very little rasp, but I think the rasp I had was caused by my squash bends. I had the sweet thunders on for about 2 days until I switched to bullets which had that "deep" rumble. Although I didnt keep the true dual system because it sounded nothing like any of the other true duals I have heard in person. Over the winter I'm building myself a true dual system and will be using all mandrel bends and I can't make up my mind on Sweet Thunder mufflers or Bullets or XR1s.