Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed ARH Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed ARH Long Tube Headers

Last Friday, my headers came in. I got the 1-3/4 primaries with air, egr and the catted y-pipe. I could not wait at all and so got started Friday night. Finally finished up Sunday morning, I had to go to work all day on Saturday. I think the install went really well for my first time ever doing headers. I had a friend help out for about an hour and a half on Saturday but did the rest myself.

The headers looked amazing when I pulled them out of the box. It's too bad they get stuffed underneath the car. I only ran into a few little snags when putting them in. The drivers side header slid in the easiest. I didn't even have the front of the car up real high. The passenger side on the other hand, refused to slide in with equal ease. I had to max out my jack stands and give the header a little encouragement. I envy those who have lifts.

So I get everything tightened up and start her up for the first time. The car started right up but felt like it had a miss. I started checking all the plug wires and everything looked fine. Still couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally I notice I didn't reconnect the harness going to the driver's pack of coils. Oops. Shut the car off, plug back in the connector, restart and idles perfect. On to the sound...

At idle, with the TSP Rumbler cat-back it is deceivingly quiet. I know that sounds weird but it is. The headers defiantly make it sound a load better. Anything above like 20% throttle is LOUD. I can see where the Rumbler name comes from. I did a few WOT blasts and the decibel difference between the headers and stock manifolds is huge. But the sounds I'm hearing just aren't working for me. I'm not liking the raspy tone it has.

So I've decided to get my stock cat-back put back on tomorrow. I'm going to have a cutout welded into the i-pipe so I can open her up when I feel like it.

Just thought I'd share my experience and get more information out there. I know I researched for a while before choosing which headers to get. Some thanks needs to go out to ARH for the great headers and CC Performance for handling my order. The plugs and wires were what drew me to CC and after dealing with them I would totally do it again.

Ryan
Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

arh rocks love mine
Old 05-16-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

ARH - fit and finish is superb.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/
Old 05-17-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job man! This morning we finished the Jet Hot LT/ORY Install on my brother's 35th Ann. SS. I have before and after videos I need to upload to youtube, and as soon as I do, I'll post the links. Do you have any sound clips or videos we could check out of your setup?

I had forgotten, I already uploaded the before video. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8OwAIhkbWk

Here is the After Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sokvW...eature=channel

If you want to see and hear more of the car, click on "More From Cottonwood121." Added some videos we shot today of some gear bangin'. Pretty ******' cool.

Last edited by Mumbles; 05-17-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added After Video link.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Hey, did you do motor mounts while you were at it? Im now starting to read that its a good idea.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Mumbles, I just got the stock cat-back put back on yesterday morning. It is really really quiet now and I kind of like it. I'm going to get a cutout welded in in a couple of weeks. I don't have any sound clips of it with the TSP Rumbler though. I guess I could get some with the stock cat-back but it isn't that exciting.

camerosam22, no I didn't do the motor mounts at the same time. My y-pipe is banging against the floorboard so at least one poly mount on the drivers side would be a good idea. That is something I'll get to in the future. If you got the time, do it while the headers are out. My car is my daily driver so I have to plan downtime.

I went to the track last night. My best was a 13.4070 sec at 105.07 mph. 2.0383 60' on worn street tires. I'm pretty happy with the results for being in the heat.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did motor mounts at the same time. With the exhaust out of the way, it only took about 3 hours to finish the solid mounts including the time to pull the exhaust. With the solid mounts, my passenger side actually went in the easiest and we had the get the car up higher for the driver side. Neither side was bad though and the ARHs went in perfectly. I love them and they sound bad *** through the catted y and GMMG.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Formula88
Mumbles, I just got the stock cat-back put back on yesterday morning. It is really really quiet now and I kind of like it. I'm going to get a cutout welded in in a couple of weeks. I don't have any sound clips of it with the TSP Rumbler though. I guess I could get some with the stock cat-back but it isn't that exciting.
LOL. No I suppose not. I'm glad you like it. I'm sure the cutout will satisfy your need for noise.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

camerosam22, no I didn't do the motor mounts at the same time. My y-pipe is banging against the floorboard so at least one poly mount on the drivers side would be a good idea. That is something I'll get to in the future. If you got the time, do it while the headers are out. My car is my daily driver so I have to plan downtime.
Originally Posted by camarosam22
Hey, did you do motor mounts while you were at it? Im now starting to read that its a good idea.
camarosam22, you should definitely consider upgrading your motor mounts while installing your new headers. One good reason is because it is 100 times easier to do with the exhaust outta the way. And the second is the quote above yours. Banging Y-pipe. **** that. I've installed LT's three times and I've installed Poly MM three times. I didn't even want to risk having to pretty much undo my entire header install to do something I should have done in the first place. If you upgrade to Poly's you won't regret it.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last Friday, my headers came in. I got the 1-3/4 primaries with air, egr and the catted y-pipe. I could not wait at all and so got started Friday night. Finally finished up Sunday morning, I had to go to work all day on Saturday. I think the install went really well for my first time ever doing headers. I had a friend help out for about an hour and a half on Saturday but did the rest myself.

The headers looked amazing when I pulled them out of the box. It's too bad they get stuffed underneath the car. I only ran into a few little snags when putting them in. The drivers side header slid in the easiest. I didn't even have the front of the car up real high. The passenger side on the other hand, refused to slide in with equal ease. I had to max out my jack stands and give the header a little encouragement. I envy those who have lifts.

So I get everything tightened up and start her up for the first time. The car started right up but felt like it had a miss. I started checking all the plug wires and everything looked fine. Still couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally I notice I didn't reconnect the harness going to the driver's pack of coils. Oops. Shut the car off, plug back in the connector, restart and idles perfect. On to the sound...

At idle, with the TSP Rumbler cat-back it is deceivingly quiet. I know that sounds weird but it is. The headers defiantly make it sound a load better. Anything above like 20% throttle is LOUD. I can see where the Rumbler name comes from. I did a few WOT blasts and the decibel difference between the headers and stock manifolds is huge. But the sounds I'm hearing just aren't working for me. I'm not liking the raspy tone it has.

So I've decided to get my stock cat-back put back on tomorrow. I'm going to have a cutout welded into the i-pipe so I can open her up when I feel like it.

Just thought I'd share my experience and get more information out there. I know I researched for a while before choosing which headers to get. Some thanks needs to go out to ARH for the great headers and CC Performance for handling my order. The plugs and wires were what drew me to CC and after dealing with them I would totally do it again.

Ryan
Nice write up. One question. What made you decide to go with the egr and the air? What was your reasoning behind keeping your emissions? Just curious. Thanks. Now all you have to do is post a video up so we can hear it!!!.
WOW. that is some nice work under that Camaro. Very nice.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mumbles
camarosam22, you should definitely consider upgrading your motor mounts while installing your new headers. One good reason is because it is 100 times easier to do with the exhaust outta the way. And the second is the quote above yours. Banging Y-pipe. **** that. I've installed LT's three times and I've installed Poly MM three times. I didn't even want to risk having to pretty much undo my entire header install to do something I should have done in the first place. If you upgrade to Poly's you won't regret it.
Ok thanks. Ill definately replace them then. Ya cause Im a perfectionist and cant stand rattles and other noises, and after doing all that work to hear that banging noise, then to do it again. So it will be a good idea to do it. Thank god I read about this now, learn something new everyday.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

I love the quality of AR headers!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Teching In

I got the emissions version because its easier for me to run them for the time being. I know I could have just got the race version and then tuned out the other stuff. This just seemed easier for my situation.