Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air leak from intake?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air leak from intake?

I have a 98 LS1. It's been acting kind of funky at idle recently. It idles somewhat rough and will surge about 300rpm when I'm idling in drive, but if I turn the AC the surging stops and it seems to idle a little smoother. Some people told me that air was leaking in somehow. I just changed my intake gaskets, so I know it's def not them.
However...when I was changing the gaskets and had the manifold off, I noticed that the back part of the intake, where the MAP sensor and the big and little vaccum hoses plug, seemed to rotate a little. Not much, but some. I don't think this part is sposed to move/turn at all, so could it be the cause of the air/vaccum leak?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

could def be the problem.

and just because the intake gaskets are new, doesnt mean they aren't the problem either.
you could have torn one, knicked one, folded it over, or just plain had a bad seal to the heads.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by teke184
could def be the problem.

and just because the intake gaskets are new, doesnt mean they aren't the problem either.
you could have torn one, knicked one, folded it over, or just plain had a bad seal to the heads.
Ya...that's what I was thinking/afraid of. Would I need to replace the entire intake, or is there a way to replace that part/repair it so it's no longer lose?

Thanks for any suggestions

Search this Thread