Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone tell me I didn't make it worse...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Someone tell me I didn't make it worse...

I took my car in to the guy that did my exhaust a couple years ago this morning. I'm having him change my X to an H. When I got there the two guys that were working there looked at me really weird and asked why i wanted to to do that. After a big long discussion with them telling me how they had never heard an H sound better than an X, and it always made less power I finally just had them start doing it anyway and left.

I like the way the car sounds down low and up top, but between 2-3k it just wimps out and a lot of the depth of the sound and volume goes away. I like the deep sound, and so i wasn't real happy with that. I told them that and he said that the H would be louder, but not sound as good, and that I would lose power. He also said if I wanted to change the sound in a certain place I should be changing mufflers, not changing merges.

He has been doing performance exhaust stuff forever, so what he says carries a pretty big weight with me, but everything I've read on here I *thought* was saying something different. What I was hoping for was a deeper sound, maybe a little more volume (but I don't care about that), a little hp loss (maybe 5 up top? Not the large amount he said I would lose midrange), and less rasp. Should I be worried that I'm just making it worse like he says?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

I think you'll be happy. only one way to find out
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Teching In

well x pipes have been known to out perform hpipes they do it by speedin up the velocity of exhaust and dampenin the exhaust pusles of firing cylinders in the exhaust system id change the mufflers if wanted diff tone not intermediate pipe sir but how u said loss is arnd 5hp or so man
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

i think he is saying he already did it and now he is a little unhappy.
like the guy said you will get a bigger change with swaping mufflers than merges.
im thinking the 10 series flows are the 1 chambers and if thats right only thing i think would be louder is a bullet.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

No, it's currently in the shop being done. I'm at home waiting for it to be finished to go pick it up.

Yeah, they are single chambers. The guy basically just told me that going from an X to an H would lose a lot of power and sound worse. Basically he made it sound pointless to be doing and that everyone else was going the other way. I thought that a lot of people here say an H actually sounds better, and only loses a little bit of hp (maybe 5 like I said?). So who is right? lol. He made me a little worried I was wasting money.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have kept the X.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you will be able to notice the power difference.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

Seems like a lot of money (not to mention the HP loss) for what gain again??
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, i would have looked into changing mufflers, not merges. if anything, i would have kept the X, always liked the sound better with an X vs an H.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I've dealt with both, X definetly better
Old 05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All other things equal you should see no difference between the two in power. The H may make a little more power up to 5k and then the x may make a little more than the H. Now, I say that based on a dyno comparison done in a Mustang magazine. No reason a GM car should have opposite outcome. As far as sound I have noticed the X actually tones down the sound better than the H. I guess the exhaust from each bank cancel some of the noise when they merge together.

my .02
Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

I've heard that the H sounds better and if/when I do my exhaust I'm going to do an H pipe. Be sure to post a sound clip when it's done.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

H = deep, bassy, muscle car sound. You gain low end tq with an h

X = high pitched, exotic, nascar sound. You gain more top end with an x pipe

Ask how i know this.... I have had both x and h pipes on my Mustang GT and Trans Am.....
Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

Ask how i know this.... I have had both x and h pipes on my Mustang GT and Trans Am.....
dude you have had like every exhaust known to man, but i think your happy with you gmmg? i think? haha

but to the op, i would have stayed with the x, and changed out mufflers.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
dude you have had like every exhaust known to man, but i think your happy with you gmmg? i think? haha

but to the op, i would have stayed with the x, and changed out mufflers.
dont get me started with how many systems i have had......

Yes i am perfectly happy with the GMMG
Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

that's what I've read, and I've actually seen a guy or two come into True Duals sticky, and say the same thing when they changed to H pipe.

I think you'll like the deep muscle sound.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

I've got TD w/ H-pipe,Magnaflow high flow cats and FM 1 chambers.
I wouldn't change my set-up for the world. The guy that did my exhaust said pretty much the same thing but I had heard enough X and H pipe set-ups to know what sound I wanted.
If your looking for LOUD, then you made a mistake.
If your looking for that nice muscle car sound then you won't be dissapointed.

It's fairly tame around town, but enough so that people will Feel it when your sitting next to them at a light.
But get on it and people up to a mile away will say "what the HELL was that?" lol
(My wife caught/heard me racing a guy at a stop light that was almost a mile away)
She was mad that I was "racing" but said it sounded really good!

Scott
Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
I've got TD w/ H-pipe,Magnaflow high flow cats and FM 1 chambers.
I wouldn't change my set-up for the world. The guy that did my exhaust said pretty much the same thing but I had heard enough X and H pipe set-ups to know what sound I wanted.
If your looking for LOUD, then you made a mistake.
If your looking for that nice muscle car sound then you won't be dissapointed.

It's fairly tame around town, but enough so that people will Feel it when your sitting next to them at a light.
But get on it and people up to a mile away will say "what the HELL was that?" lol
(My wife caught/heard me racing a guy at a stop light that was almost a mile away)
She was mad that I was "racing" but said it sounded really good!

Scott
Yep, that's the way mine is/was. I don't know if yours is dumped or not, but mine is out the back, and I was a mile away on a road looking towards our house (probably close to half of that distance is through trees too) and got on it, and when I got back my dad was in the yard and asked if that was me he heard over towards the road I was on. I smiled . haha

Ok, so here's what it sounds like now. Kinda subtle changes, so probably 90% of normal people wouldn't hear a difference, but I definitely can.

Down low, below about 1750 or so it sounds very similar to before. There was one kind of droney spot that is just a touch quieter now I think. From inside the car that is really the only difference. From behind the car the idle is much cooler because the exhaust pulses are much more separated between the left and right exhaust tips, rather than being kind of mixed like they were with the X. I like that.

In the middle, between about 2-3k was the biggest change (like I wanted). Instead of actually getting quieter in the lower 2's and losing all of the bass, there is a little more bass than before and it actually keeps getting louder the higher you go, which is how it should work (IMO), and not how it was before (got so quiet before between 2-2.5 you could hear the engine whine). Overall I would say there is less raspy noise with the H too (not that either of them really had too much, this is a little less).

Up top it sounds similar, but with a couple little differences. At WOT obviously, the X pipe's bass was almost a smooth sound, but with a higher pitched popping over top (not rasp, but similar sounding). Now with the H that high pitched popping is gone, and the bass notes are more separated sounding. It doesn't sound like basically one single constant noise coming out with popping over top now, it sounds more like individual pulses that are just MUCH faster than it is down low.

So overall I'm very happy and I'm glad I didn't listen to the guy at the shop. He's a real nice guy and does awesome work (even sprayed my entire exhaust system, including my chipping header, with a new coat of a heat paint without telling me or charging me ), but he has his opinions that apparently I don't agree with. I can't really notice any power difference (that I'm sure isn't in my head anyway, but I don't care, the sound makes up for it), so if you're wondering if you should do this, I would recommend it, no matter what the exhaust shop guy says...
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

so glad you like it. Any sound clips coming our way?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Yep, I'm sure I'll get one before too long, I just have to find a camera that can handle the volume level . My friend has a pretty good one, so I'll get him to come over soon and we'll take some videos.