Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile O2 sensor & EMI fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low profile O2 sensor & EMI fuse

OK, I tried to search as much as possible, since I know it annoys people to no end when someone posts without looking first. However, I couldn't find anything regarding low profile O2 sensors...

I have a '96 Buick Roadmaster wagon that I dropped a LS1 into. I bought headers from Street and Performance that were technically for an '80s Monte Carlo/Cutlass, but they found it work for B body GMs, too. However, the O2 sensor location in the header is damn near mashing the wiring for the sensor against the body of the car. When I first got the car going, it seemed to run great for a while. However, over time, it started having idle issues, 3rd gear starts, etc, which all pointed to the EMI fuse being blown. Sure enough, it was. I replaced it and it lasted for a few miles, then popped again. Now I'm now having my EMI fuse blow almost as soon as it's put in when the car is running. I think it may be because the wires feeding the O2 sensor heaters are now shorting. There is a TON of stuff on this fuse- the transmission traction control solenoid, all 4 O2 heater feeds (only 2 now, my rears are gone), the EGR control valve relay solenoid (which I think is gone???), the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve (gone) and the MAF sensor, so I suppose any number of other devices could be to blame, but I think the O2 sensors make the most sense, and are my current focus.

So, my first starting point was to see if anyone has heard of a low profile O2 sensor? I won't take much to clear the body. I can't imagine I'm the only one with exhaust clearance issues...? Also, if there are any other ideas of what to check for, I'm open to it (i.e.- if the TCC solenoid goes bad, will that pop fuses, etc).

Thanks!
Jeff Breeze

Quick Reply: Low profile O2 sensor & EMI fuse