Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK 80MM Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BBK 80MM Throttle Body

I purchased a used BBK 80MM Throttle Body that was on a GTO. I have a 2002 SS and I am now having problem with the Idle Control System. I'm throwing code:

P0507 Idle Contol System, RPM higher than expected.

The valve is closed all the way. I'm not sure what needs to be done to switch from the GTO to the Camaro set up. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks

Joe
Old 05-23-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curosity is it a model #1709? That's the one I use on my 2000 t/a.What do you mean when you say the valve is closed?Is this the plate inside the throttle body or are you saying the idle air control sensor is closed?The adjustment allen screw for the plate should be adjusted so that the plate is slightly open. I had the opposite problem.The car would not idle correctly when it first started.(LOW IDLE) My tuner had to drill a small hole like the stock unit to get it to idle correctly.That probably is not your problem.Explain in more detail what's going on.

Last edited by transwiz; 05-23-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Yeah the blade is all the way shut. The set screw under the spring is showing about a 1/4 inch above flush. So I should have it opened a little bit? By the way it is the 1709. Still that screw looks a little odd in there.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The blade should be open slightly.I would try that first,You don't want it open too much either.It could also be a vacume leak,because it threw a p0507 code.Check all your connections.My set screw is adjusted at a hair under 3/16"

Last edited by transwiz; 05-23-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Teching In

I'm totally confused now. I removed the screw and now the SES light does not come on, but it idles even higher and I did a little test and I found a nice straight road and I began. I came to stop and just let off the brake. The car made it all the way into third gear and 55 mph before I aborted the test. Now here is my question to you guys. Should I just put the screw back in and have it tuned or should I try and open up the blade a little more by readjusting the set screw under the spring?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm getting confused too.I would re install the allen set screw.Adjust it so that their is a 3/16" distance from the mounting plate to the throttle lever.You might have a problem with the throttle cable.The cable from the throttle body to the accelerator pedal.If you follow the cable from the throttle body up,you will find you can adjust it.Check to see if that cable has some play in it.If it is too tight(no play in it)that might why your idle is too high.You could also have a vacume leak.I hope some other guys will chime in here with some ideas.Everybody is probably gone for memorial weekend.Did you install the spacer plate and thighten the screws evenly.
It's probably something really simple.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Teching In

There is that vacuum leak again. I've also had problems with some other codes that seem to be very common (P0171, P0174). All roads are leading down the path of a vacuum leak. I've searched and search for this leak and I can't find it. I thought one of my seals had gone on the intake, but after replacing all of those seals I still get the codes. My concern is the throttle body. I really don't want to have to put the stock one on and get rid of the BBK, but if that's the best thing than I guess it is what has to be done.

Joe
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EOD_JOE
There is that vacuum leak again. I've also had problems with some other codes that seem to be very common (P0171, P0174). All roads are leading down the path of a vacuum leak. I've searched and search for this leak and I can't find it. I thought one of my seals had gone on the intake, but after replacing all of those seals I still get the codes. My concern is the throttle body. I really don't want to have to put the stock one on and get rid of the BBK, but if that's the best thing than I guess it is what has to be done.

Joe
im also having those problems with this throttle body. it altered my shift points too. did it do that to urs?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Yea my car is kicking the **** out of me when it is down shifting into first. It's starting to worry me in traffic, because I'm on the brake and all the sudden to wants to jump into someones rear end. I'm taking it to have it tuned and hopefully that will solve all my existing problems.

Joe
Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

The I.A.C ports on the BBK are not the same size as the stock throttle body..
Then on top of that BBK left a tiny open space around the throttle body blade instead of putting a hole in the throttle blade..
So with those 2 changes in the throttle body compared to the stock one
Your I.A.C. & engine is taking in more air than it was originally calibrated for..
You will need some one to re adjust your I.A.C. calibrations and lower the step count...
Old 05-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Teching In

I figured it was something to do with the computer. I'll let you know how the tune works out.

Joe

Quick Reply: BBK 80MM Throttle Body