Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock exhaust manifold leaking on #5 and #7

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock exhaust manifold leaking on #5 and #7

I just got back from the exhaust shop. I was hearing a ticking sound for awhile and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the car close to the driver's side cat.

We put the car on the lift and didn't see anything obvious so the guy popped my hood and had a look. Blackish looking coloration on the head above the exhaust manifold on #5 and #7. Did a search on here and found a post where guys were stating that they have never heard of a stock manifold gasket leak.

Car is sitting in the garage cooling off. I plan to go out there and try to tighten down the manifold bolts around #5 and 7 and see if that fixes the problem. If this doesn't fix my problem, I'm thinking about ordering a set of pacesetter LT's (on the CC) since I'll have to pull the manifold off anyway. I was thinking there is always a chance that my manifold is slightly warped because I have bottomed out on my cutout a few times by accident.

It is possible that I have burnt a valve already? Car doesn't have the smoothest idle in the world, but it isn't bad.

Any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Might just be a bad gasket, I would replace the gaskets either way... Headers or manifolds, and get new GM gaskets too.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
Might just be a bad gasket, I would replace the gaskets either way... Headers or manifolds, and get new GM gaskets too.
Agreed. Good luck.