Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF...I dont get it

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WTF...I dont get it

Ok, so here is the problem...My volts were dropping into the red when I would get on the gas a little, so I had it checked and I changed the alternator. Cool it worked, until yesterday. Now as I come to a light and I sit there and idle the volts drop into the red AGAIN, but when I give it just a little bit of gas the volts rise back up to 13. What in the freaking hell is this car doing to me.....Please help......OH YEAH the battery tested good.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running a draw - like a/c on, cooling fans running, etc. when you stop and are at idle - say 800 RPMs - you are not spinning the alternator fast enough. As soon as you raise the RPMs the alternator starts charging. If the battery is fully charged and nothing is on it shouldn't drop into the red if you are only idling for a minute, but if you are running a few things it will drop gradually the longer you idle. If you have an underdrive pulley, the situation is a bit worse since the alternator is spinning even slower.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This kinda sucks..lol
Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, when the a/c is off it still does it. I wonder if the battery is not at its strongest point?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
Ok, when the a/c is off it still does it. I wonder if the battery is not at its strongest point?
Your volts should never drop like that under NO circumstances. I have a 1,000 watt amp, and with my A/C on full blast sitting in a parking spot, my volts will never ever even budge. Thats not how they are designed. And...I have an under drive pulley on my 427ci. And I have a basic Advance Auto Pro-Start alternator.

You may have a messed up excitor wire, can't hurt to replace that little bastard. When thiose things get old and worn down and sometimes beaten up from years of road debris, they cause all kinds of charging issues. Alternators going off and on, charging one second then not charging for 5 minutes. Then one day it'll be perfectly fine.

Another member just did this last week who had wierd charging issues. Just splice it in using BUTT connectors only, do not solder it. And splice it in way up high as close to the wiring harness as possible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-A...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-24-2009, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
Your volts should never drop like that under NO circumstances.
Under "ANY" circumstances...

Im not an english freak by any means but that double negative was highlighted by all your all caps...lol