Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will gutted cats cause poor exhaust note?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will gutted cats cause poor exhaust note?

One of the cats on my car failed, so instead of buying new ones the shop gutted them and changed the computer codes to save me some money.

I'm going to be getting an SLP loudmouth II. Stock manifolds and ypipe. Will the gutted cats cause a poor exhaust note? I herd from someplace the loudmouth sounds real good on stock cars , but ones with any other exhaust mods get bad rasp and an old truck sound.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Launching!

mine has the old truck sound but i've got LM1 with LT's and ORY. i don't mind it, and the drone doesn't bother me, no cats is going to create rasp

Last edited by 99T/A_Marine; 05-26-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you checked out ls1sounds.com?
check out the cars with the off-road y pipes

http://ls1sounds.com/slp_loudmouth.htm
Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, my bro gutted his cats on his 2001 T/A a few months ago. When he pulled up I was like, "Damn, that thing sounds bad ***!" It was all raspy and cool. Then we spent the day running errands in the car. By the end of the day I was like, "Get me out of this thing!" It just became this raspy, low, bellow sound resonating from the back that started giving me a headache after a few hours.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the LM2 with gutted cats. Trust me when I say the LM2 is way to quiet for my taste with cats in. IMO it does not make it to loud or sound poor. If I had to do it over I would have gutted the cats while I was under there the first time! Sucks taking it all apart again.